PDA

View Full Version : What if you live in an apt?

nismosmama
09-29-05, 10:08 am
I live in an apartment, the little patch of 'grass' we have outside is all dead and brown, and my piggie is not going on that stuff. But I would love for him to have some outside time, where could I take him that's safe? I was thinking there is a big park by the beach, but then I thought, well this is a public place, I have no idea what kinda of stuff they use on their grass. Any ideas on what I could do to get my piggy some sunshine?

pennick
09-29-05, 02:18 pm
You can always put him out on the fire escape. Just joking. I live in an apartment also. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't want to take my piggies outside. It's bad enough that they can get sick just by being in the apartment, who knows what germs they can pick up outside. Anyway I would be scared to death the whole time while my piggies were out in public frolicking on the ground somewhere, god knows what could happen to them. I don't think I would enjoy that time spent outdoors.

Maybe If I had a house that would be another story.

Aren't you happy I responded. I am such a kill joy.

Percy's Mom
09-29-05, 06:46 pm
You could grow your own patch of grass. Go to the dollar store and buy a dishpan, fill it with organic top soil from the garden center, sprinkle grass seeds on top, cover with a handful of piggy hay, water and wait for grass to grow. It's not perfect, but it'll give your little guy some fresh grass to munch on that you KNOW is chemical free.

aqh88
09-29-05, 10:16 pm
I can't help you with taking them outside for sunshine. I take mine to the stable at my mom's house and let them run around in a guinea pig and predator proofed horse stall or in the garden. I wouldn't trust a park or anywhere that other unknown animals could have been. For fresh grass see this thread: http://cavycages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10116

smoot
10-02-05, 05:38 am
Maybe a botanical garden? I'm sure they'd be able to tell you if they use chemicals on their lawns. They are usually less "dirty" than a park, less crowded, and the staff might let you bring Nismo for some munching.

nonamian_girl
12-04-05, 03:04 pm
I live in an apartment and I keep stealing grass from the building next door :P.

I think if people use chemicals on their lawns, they have to put up a sign that says so. You can also usually tell if they do by the way the grass looks. If it just looks too good, is superbly taken care of and mowed regularly, and there are no weeds anywhere, chances are there could be pesticides.

I think my grass source is fairly healthy, because there are tons of weeds and they hardly ever mow it. The only thing that's bad is that dogs also use it as bathrooms, so i just pick it further away where the owners wouldn't let them go.

Pa_piggies
01-07-06, 06:50 pm
could you make a smaller cage that is portable with a coropplast bottom and put them out in that for a few hours? keep the top covored due to the sun but maybe half uncovored to let some sun in.