PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Washing new fleece, I made it worse! try vinegar?

blessedmom
07-19-14, 04:21 pm
I am a fleece newbie but need to get this whole thing working soon because I'm going out of town for a couple days and want to make it so that my husband only has to sweep up poops (hopefully).

I bought a u haul blanket already and found a fleece blanket at walgreens for just $8. I tested the wicking and it was GREAT! The water went right through to the towel but I washed it anyways since it was new. I was excited because I had read about some people washing over and over and over.

I took the fleece out of the dryer and tested again and it was now worse! Now it only wicks if I press down on the puddle a bit. Did I make it worse?

I washed it in a gentle wash like Woolite, and did not use fabric softener.

Should I use vinegar? If so, how much?

Thanks for any help!

bpatters
07-19-14, 04:49 pm
You should wash it in hot water with a heavy-duty detergent and bleach. You can't destroy fleece, and Woolite definitely won't clean the piggy odors out of it.

blessedmom
07-19-14, 06:37 pm
I will wash with the detergent. I guess I was afraid to use it since I know fabric softener is out. What about fragrance in the detergent? Is that bad? And thanks for the response!

cavywest
07-19-14, 08:38 pm
I am a fleece newbie but need to get this whole thing working soon because I'm going out of town for a couple days and want to make it so that my husband only has to sweep up poops (hopefully).

I bought a u haul blanket already and found a fleece blanket at walgreens for just $8. I tested the wicking and it was GREAT! The water went right through to the towel but I washed it anyways since it was new. I was excited because I had read about some people washing over and over and over.

I took the fleece out of the dryer and tested again and it was now worse! Now it only wicks if I press down on the puddle a bit. Did I make it worse?

I washed it in a gentle wash like Woolite, and did not use fabric softener.

Should I use vinegar? If so, how much?

Thanks for any help!

labgirl5
07-19-14, 08:40 pm
I found that adding a bit of Dawn blue dish soap helped with wicking.

cavywest
07-19-14, 08:45 pm
Hi I use fleece and towels in my guinea pig pens. I wash these in the washing machine using my usual washing detergent then hang them on the line outside and have no trouble. I do the same process for their fleece cuddle cups and fleece cuddle sacks. Maybe you could try drying them outside.

labgirl5
07-19-14, 08:47 pm
Are you sure the fleece is 100% polyester? I believe it has to be for it to wick properly.

daisy1cow
07-19-14, 09:07 pm
And some fleece just doesn't wick but this is weird and it used to wick and now it doesn't. Wash with detergent a few times, hot water and see what happens. I buy my fleece at Joann's and Hancock.
Good luck, I know its frustrating.

lissie
07-19-14, 09:24 pm
Have you use dryer sheets in your dryer? There maybe some residue left in the dryer.