PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to share...

onemors
07-18-14, 12:11 am
I'm a new owner of a beautiful guinea pig so I'm setting up my C&C and I just found this info, sharing it for others that are new to all these guinea pig caring if anything wrong please let me know and thanks to all for the tips... On how to wash the Fleece before I put my baby boy🐹http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/18/uzybumem.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/18/qyhujypu.jpg

starrgazerr
07-18-14, 12:08 pm
looks great! Except I don't think you need towels and uhaul pads, i think one or the other should do. :)

pigger123
07-18-14, 12:24 pm
Yeah, the towels are unnecessary if you have uhaul pads. I find that uhaul works much better than towels as far as absorption and odor control, so I would just skip the towels.

rebrandynora
07-18-14, 12:58 pm
Yes, that top one seems particularly excessive. I am giving some car washing shammies a try. They look like big, yellowy orange felt and they're often used for car washing. In the U.S., awhile back they were advertised as Sham-WOW! cloths. You get them in the car washing section or a local hardware store. I'm going to try them over towels or uhaul pads.

pigger123
07-18-14, 02:11 pm
Yes, that top one seems particularly excessive. I am giving some car washing shammies a try. They look like big, yellowy orange felt and they're often used for car washing. In the U.S., awhile back they were advertised as Sham-WOW! cloths. You get them in the car washing section or a local hardware store. I'm going to try them over towels or uhaul pads.

Would the shammies be the very top layer, or just as an extra layer under the fleece? You need the fleece on top so it wicks down moisture and leaves a dry surface, otherwise the pigs are just sitting their urine.

lissie
07-18-14, 02:15 pm

Make sure you weigh down your fleece, so your pigs can't get to the sham-wow. I've read that some pigs ate them and got sick.

onemors
07-18-14, 04:01 pm
Ok thanks so I went ahead and place it like the second pic but with out the towel, do I have to double the uhaul pad?

rebrandynora
07-18-14, 04:39 pm
I put the Sham wow under the fleece. I don't have burrowers, so it seems just fine with the fleece tucked around it.

Princess_Piggie
07-18-14, 05:45 pm
I personally see no harm in using both UHAUL and towel. Sure UHAUL is plenty absorbent alone, but it's not going to hurt your pigs any if you add towels too.

onemors
07-18-14, 07:18 pm
Uhaul pads....can they be washed?

daisy1cow
07-18-14, 07:56 pm
I personally see no harm in using both UHAUL and towel. Sure UHAUL is plenty absorbent alone, but it's not going to hurt your pigs any if you add towels too.

I use both. Uhaul ontop of the towels, gives a little extra for those extra pee bodies I seem to have (the boys) So it doesn't smell as little gets to the towels and what does is no big deal.

daisy1cow
07-18-14, 07:57 pm
Uhaul pads....can they be washed?

Mine are in the wash as we speak. The pad ones, not the ones with the blue layer on top, sorry I don't know what they are called. The ones I use are like 7$, the blue topped ones are twice as much

onemors
07-18-14, 08:11 pm
Oh ok thanks good to know....

Princess_Piggie
07-19-14, 10:37 am
I don't have UHAUL in the UK, but I know it's only the recycled denim pads that are suitable for cage use, and they can be washed.