Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C cages are deadly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoot

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,
In another Kitchen thread it has been said that guinea pigs can break their legs on C&C cages. I thought this was interesting as not too long ago, I read on another forum that pigs can get stuck in the grids and die. Has anyone experienced anything like this for themselves? I believe that very young pigs can get stuck in the grids, which is why we baby-proof our cages. I don't want to keep telling people that they're crazy if this has actually happened to someone. Thanks in advance for your input!

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Someone posted pics on said thread showing that it is impossible for a pig to break it's 1cm leg in a 2" hole. I don't think you will find such a story. It's just one person's way to justify having a pet store cage.

Edit: That someone beat me to it! :expressio

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I have had a young pig get scared and run into a grid that was not covered by coroplast yet. He wasn't really stuck he just went running in full speed with his body stretched out and then when trying to back out he scrunched his body so he didn't fit. It does happen on a rare occasion but I haven't heard of it happening while the guinea pigs are in their cage and I haven't heard of one actually dying from getting stuck. I really don't see how it's physically possible for a guinea pig to get their leg stuck even if they slip while standing on the bars. Given how short a guinea pig's legs are it should just slide right out with maybe a slight bruise.

smoot

Cavy Slave
Lyndsay said:
I did a bit of an exparament with that in a different thred I posted pictures of what happens when an adult cavy is on these cubes. Here is the link to it:
https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6336&page=18&pp=20

Thanks, I do remember the cute "chubby pig on grid" pictures. I also remember you got some heat for putting your pig in so much "danger". ;) We all know that the floors of C&C cages are coroplast so that shouldn't happen.

The way the accident was described was that the pig's leg was caught on the top edge of the coroplast, though. I thought I'd give people a chance to pipe in if it happened to them. They might not have wanted to post in the other thread since it was about a different topic. I wanted to be sure before I told people that C&C are 100% safe (which I think they are but it's weird to have two allegations that they're unsafe from two different sources so close together).

Last edited:

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
teehee those pigtures did make him look fat, he isn't really though.
I totally understand what you really wanted to get to the bottom of, I thought though that I would cover that aspect for you ;)
Personally I cannot see how a cavy could just lets say 4-6 inches in the air, and get his leg caught at the same time? I don't know, I'm going to read some of other people's testimonials on that first. But it seems pretty difficult to me.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Wasn't that stuff started by breeders who are against giving gps that much space? They claim they are not safe and 'many a gp have died in them', yet no specific dates or incidents to back them up.

If you build them correctly and baby proof for the pups/ young ones, they should be safe.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
There have been a few cases of pups/young pigs getting stuck in grids if the owner did not take the appropriate measures and baby proof the cage. That's why we tell everyone who is expecting pups with a C&C whether it was an intentional or unintentional breeding, to baby proof the cages.

I have not heard of any cases of a pig breaking a leg in a c&c cage.

Alanas

Cavy Slave
If you have cut the coroplast to the right measurements the pups shouldn't be able to reach the grids.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
There is no right measurement for the walls of a C&C. It is personal preference. Persoanlly I like 3" walls. I use fleece. I will never go back to bedding.

But if I was explecting pups I would definatly put up extra coro. I saved coro from my old 3X3 when I thought Sakura was expecting. I used it for other stuff when we found out it was a flase alram.

Katie

Cavy Slave
I've only heard that C&C cages are dangerous from breeders. Many breeders on other boards claim they've had pigs die in them, yet they have never used them?!

Breeders are too lazy to make C&C cages pup proofed and are to selfish to give their pigs any more room then 2 sq ft. They have hundreds of pigs and need to save as much room as they can!

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
The people who said that are lying. Don't pay any attention to them. They are only saying that because they have cages the size of a small cardboard box. They are trying to make us believe that their cages are better than C&Cs. There is no way a guinea pig can break their leg in a C&C cages... unless they haven't fixed it together properly or anything:rolleyes:

Fujiko

Cavy Slave
Once our Einstein got her head stuck in the grids. The grids were leaning up against a wall (this was before we had built the cage) and Ein and Patch were having some floor time. My fiance went to catch her, and of course she ran, with much haste, right into the grids. She SCREAMED like she was in a lot of pain, and it took us forever to get her head out. She seemed ok after that. I don't know who was more traumatized: her or us.

As long as you have coroplast high enough up the sides, it should normally not be a problem. GP's usually don't run head-first at full speed into the sides of their cages, anyway.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
I have to say, that nothing in this world is 100% safe. I would say though, if made right, and procations (sp?) are taken when needed, that CC cages are allot safer then most store bought cages. Just think, how many pigs really climb the side of their cage? Not many I am sure. I have my sides 6'' high, and on the top level they are 12'', just to be sure no one falls out of the second floor. I have never seen my pigs get stuck any where in their cage. I think it is possible that they could breake a leg betweem the coro and the grid, anything is possible (getting eaten by a shark, struck by lightning, computer falling of your desk,crushing your legs--hehe, just being sarcastic here! ). But, if that would be possible, why not the samething happen in a hutch (foot stuck in door frame, in wire used for a door). I think CC cages are the next best invention, next to the computer!-haha

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
I've had two pigs dislocate their toes being taken out of petstore cages, but no C&C injuries.

Fujiko, you have an Einstein too?

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
There have been a few cases of pups/young pigs getting stuck in grids if the owner did not take the appropriate measures and baby proof the cage. That's why we tell everyone who is expecting pups with a C&C whether it was an intentional or unintentional breeding, to baby proof the cages.

I had a problem with a baby pig getting his head stuck in the holes of my run. I didn't realize that he could actually fit his head through the holes as he very big!

I've had no problems with any of my pigs getting stuck or hurting themselves on the grids. I have had problems with them jumping out of the cage but apart from that I don't see how the cage can be dangerous. Theres no wire for them to cut themselves on and the holes are too big for an adult pig to get stuck in!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Properly constructed C&C cages are not dangerous. This thread can be used as a reference. If anyone has any injuries or dangers to post, they can create a new thread. This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.