Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Dry and scabbed skin on baby pig - fungus? Pics

KelsieandCavies

Cavy Slave
Hello!
I just got back from a week vacation (my dad's girlfriend watched the pigs for me) and found one of my babies (born June 4th) with dry, scabby areas by the ear, around one eye, and a scabby nose. At first I wondered if they had been fighting (3 females total) but now that I look around online it looks more like a fungal issue? Any help appreciated, I want to help her any way I can asap!

KelsieandCavies

Cavy Slave
Aww I bet it's the change in humidity :( We went from Montana to North Dakota recently. Poor little baby. I will get an anti-fungal cream like the link suggests. Thanks so much!

KelsieandCavies

Cavy Slave
This was helpful too, in case anyone else is having this problem: (broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It does look fungal. Since it's so close to the eye, you probably need to see a vet for a cream that's safe if it gets in the eye. If it weren't for that, you could treat it with Monistat or Lotrimin.

KelsieandCavies

Cavy Slave
Didn't even think about that until I was on my way to the store XD She goes into the vet tomorrow evening.

KelsieandCavies

Cavy Slave
She got topical and oral meds. Already the scabs are gone and it looks like hair will come back soon. Yay!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad she's getting better, she's cute!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.