PDA

View Full Version : Wood Pellets/Chips Bought the wrong wood pellets??

daisy1cow
07-14-14, 10:24 am
Ok, so I thought I knew what I was doing, went to menards and bought wood pellets. I think I got the wrong ones. There seems to be a coating of some kind maybe on them? They seem shiny. I put one in water and it didn't turn to dust, it floated, hahahaha.
Any advice??? Thank you and heres a pic

bpatters
07-14-14, 10:38 am
They're fine as long as they have no strong pine odor. The shiny coating is a result of the heat in the extrusion process. And if you leave that pellet in water long enough, it should disintegrate. What brand of pellets are they?

daisy1cow
07-14-14, 11:27 am
Indeck Wood Pellets at Menards and THANK YOU so much for your info! I was so worried. They have a bit of a smell but not overwhelming or super strong. I get a little wiff every now and then.
It did disintegrate!
Thanks a bunch bpatters!!

Artista
07-14-14, 12:02 pm
Mine is exactly like that and it's fine.

bpatters
07-14-14, 12:18 pm
I googled them, and I can't find whether or not they have an accelerant in them. Pellets made for wood stoves sometimes do, since it makes them light up quicker. If I were you, I'd email the company and ask. If they have an accelerant, they're not safe for the pigs.

ETA: The company does make a pellet specifically for pet use -- it's called Aspen Gold. Here's the website: http://www.aspengoldbedding.com/.

daisy1cow
07-14-14, 12:42 pm
Here is what the site says:
Premium Indeck Energy™ Wood Pellets contain:
NO inorganic additives
NO wood glues
NO wood derived from low-quality sources - like pallets or other scrap
Hardwood blend

Material Hardwood Blend
Ash Content Less than 1%
Moisture Content Less than 8%
Fines Less than 0.5%
Sodium Less than 300PPM
Diameter 1/4"

I'll put their other kitchens back in in until I hear. Ive emailed the company as well.
Thanks everyone!!!

Artista
07-14-14, 12:45 pm
Don't worry, these are fine. You are looking for it not to be pine unless it's kiln dried or for combustable additives.

daisy1cow
07-14-14, 12:58 pm
Wow that was a quick response:

Brenda,

Our pellets are 100% wood, all natural. Nothing else is added.

Best regards,

bpatters
07-14-14, 12:58 pm
I saw that list, but that does NOT preclude there being an accelerant in them. Ethanol is an organic accelerant (and a benign one, but there are others that aren't benign), and that list only says that there are no inorganic additives.

Artista
07-14-14, 01:18 pm
Wow that was a quick response:

Brenda,

Our pellets are 100% wood, all natural. Nothing else is added.

Best regards,

You are fine then.

daisy1cow
07-14-14, 01:22 pm
bpatters:
Good to know. The email says "nothing else is added, 100% all wood."
Let me know if you think they are ok still. The Aspen Gold are not sold anywhere in Iowa. It said one place close by that were listed as a dealer, but she had no idea what I was talking about and she was the owner!! hahahaha
I might check like Theisens or Orshlens they are farm places.
If I had to order, I would expect shipping to kill me!

Artista
07-14-14, 01:27 pm
@bpatters (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=13820):
Good to know. The email says "nothing else is added, 100% all wood."
Let me know if you think they are ok still. The Aspen Gold are not sold anywhere in Iowa. It said one place close by that were listed as a dealer, but she had no idea what I was talking about and she was the owner!! hahahaha
I might check like Theisens or Orshlens they are farm places.
If I had to order, I would expect shipping to kill me!

If you can't take the word of the manufacturer and you're still so worried, maybe you should look at alternative bedding. My bag says 100% wood pellets and I've been using 2 different brands for over a year now with no issues. If you don't trust them then go for something else.

daisy1cow
07-14-14, 01:35 pm
I trust them, bpatters had mentioned ethanol as something that could sneak in there as it is organic so I wanted to make triple sure since it says organic but could still have ethanol in it as it is organic!! sneaky huh?? But I feel better that when I emailed they said nothing else added! 100% wood, whew
Thanks so much everyone.

ClemmyOddieIndy
07-14-14, 01:43 pm
Where are you at in Iowa? I'm sure you can find animal specific bedding.

daisy1cow
07-14-14, 02:14 pm
Iowa City. I was going to check Theisens and Orchlen later today, but thought I had read from someone that they bought from Menards.

bpatters
07-14-14, 02:49 pm
If they're all wood, and nothing else is added, and they're not made of raw pine, they're fine.

ClemmyOddieIndy
07-14-14, 06:40 pm
I live in DSM, and I don't know IC very well. But, I'm sure there is a local feed store or Co-op that you can get animal specific bedding at. Also, I would think it would be cheaper somewhere else. Menards is the most expensive home store around here.