Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newly-Adopted Pigs + Car Accident

Ohana266

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone!

My fiance & I had been planning on adopting a pair of guinea pigs for well over a year when we came across a Craigslist ad a few weeks ago and completely fell in love with the two little girls that had been put up for adoption. We ended up driving two and a half hours up to Boston to pick them up, and as soon as we saw them it was love at first sight. Unfortunately, on our return trip home, we got into a pretty bad four-car crash on the highway. I had been sitting in the back seat of my fiance's car with the pet carrier on my lap when the crash happened, and from the impact & force of the crash the door ended up flying off of the pet carrier into the front of the car and the front of the carrier cracked (from hitting the back of the driver's seat). As soon as the car came to a stop I started panicking about the well-being of the pigs... we had only had them for about an hour, maybe less, and we got into this terrible car crash. I felt horrible.

The state trooper who came to investigate the crash told us that if we wanted to be taken to a hospital we would have to leave the guinea pigs (in the broken carrier) on the side of the highway. I've never actually stood on the side of a highway before, but this one was crawling with huge spiders. Plus, the carrier was broken, and who knows what would happen if we left them there? Luckily, neither of us had any lacerations or any super-immediate medical problems, so we decided to wait to go to the hospital once my parents could pick us up and take care of the guinea pigs. My father ended up driving the guinea pigs home as my fiance & I waited to be seen at the hospital, and that put my mind at ease a bit, but I still felt awful about putting them through such a stressful situation.

It has been almost three weeks since the accident, and the guinea pigs have seemed fine ever since Day One (okay, maybe Day Two... they were a bit shaken up after the crash, but who can blame them?). The younger one (who we named Chewbacca) eats CONSTANTLY, and they both run around and squeal and interact with each other and us. My fiance & I are so relieved that they're both alright... It's definitely not the ideal adoption story that we were hoping to have with these two girls, but at least it's got a happy ending!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I'm glad you were all okay after the accident. That must have been a pretty scary situation! I hope you stick around the forum, it's a fantastic place to talk to fellow cavy slaves.

StarTaleMaddnes

Cavy Slave
I can't imagine how awful that would be but your obviously good piggie parents! Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to learn and understand all the nuances of guinea pig ownership- I'd be lost without it. I like to refer to this forum as my piggie peoples!

starrgazerr

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad you guys are okay!!!!! You and the guineas. I can't believe that officer told you to put them on the side of the road...is he stupid? who would leave their pets on the road...

Ohana266

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

I was really surprised that the officer would make us leave our pets on the side of the highway too... I guess he wasn't an animal person. It was scary enough for me to be stranded on the side of the road and I actually knew what was going on; I couldn't imagine how the poor piggies would have dealt with being stranded on the highway. It was so loud and every time an 18-wheeler or group of motorcycles went by they would cower and huddle closer together. I am so glad we were able to have them brought back to my parents' house while we were in the hospital.

I was in a three-car, probably more minor accident with my boys, and one got flung out of the carrier. They both bounced back surprisingly well from the trauma once they were back in the cage.

I have been amazed at how quickly they recovered from such a traumatic event. I'm still hobbling around with a cane and covered in bruises, and they're running and popcorning and just being the adorable, crazy little pigs that they are! They were shaken up the day of the accident but other than that they have been perfect! Glad to hear your boys were okay after your accident too. Thank god guinea pigs are such tough cookies!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad you all came out of that with no major injuries. I've always worried about something like that happening. When I take my pigs to the vet, I seat belt their carrier in place since I figured it would become a projectile in a high impact accident. Lucky you were holding it and it wasn't loose on the seat.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I'm glad everyone is ok! What a scary situation.

I wouldn't say I activly worry about car accidents with pets in the car but it is something that has concerned me before. Especially with my dog. When I signed up for car insurance this last time I was able to add pet accident protection for cheap.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Wow, that is amazing and fortunate that you, your fiance and the piggies are all okay after that! I always seat belt the carrier in, but I still worry that if I'm in an accident with the piggies in the car that they will fly around in the carrier from the impact and be injured since it's a hard sided cat carrier. I wish there was a way to properly seat belt the piggies themselves! I don't know what to say about that state trooper saying you would have to leave them by the side of the highway, I have to wonder, would he have said the same thing if your pets were cats or dogs? And welcome to the forum, I hope you feel better from your injuries soon!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.