PDA

View Full Version : Cage what to buy on a budget as a cage?

starrgazerr
07-09-14, 11:33 pm
Hi! I'm new and my name is Jess! I'm seeing a lot of people here are anti-petstore, and I am as well. I was wondering what I should use to make a cage for my guinea that is a) not supporting pet stores and b) cheap? I want to make sure what I get is safe for my guinea...thanks! Also I prefer bedding to fleece for easier cleaning for preferably I'd like to get something that has a bottom I can put bedding into. Any suggestions?

LucidCavies
07-09-14, 11:44 pm
Definitely a c&c cage. they are made of storage grids you can pick up from targe, amazon, k-mart, ebay, and even on this website.
and they are also made of coroplast. Which is also sold on here.

starrgazerr
07-09-14, 11:45 pm
Thanks! I've been browsing and i'm gonna do c&c with storage cubes i'm more talking about the bottom of the cage! coroplast is hard to find near me according to the link, it's listing stores i don't have near me...so i'm wondering what good alternatives are....

Red5Iam
07-09-14, 11:46 pm
My cage was made for about $60 out of closet shelving, coroplast and zipties. The table it is on was $40, but you wouldn't need a table necessarily. I think most C&C cages can be made comparably as well? The cost is largely going to depend on the size that you want. I think you can get enough grids for a 2x3 (minimum size for a single pig) cage for about $20 from Bed, Bath & Beyond? And you should be able to get coroplast big enough from Home Depot or a local sign store.

starrgazerr
07-09-14, 11:50 pm
okay, i'll go to my local targets and search. thanks so much!! I already have a table so I'll just fill it up, I'll definitely do at least 2x3, I'm actually making this cage as a size upgrade! In terms of fleece, if I replaced it 1-2 times a week would that be too little?

Red5Iam
07-09-14, 11:58 pm
I usually only change my fleece once a week, and I've got four pigs in my cage, so you should be good. Be sure that you have a good absorbent layer under the fleece. I use two layers of U-Haul pad and it works great. I know some people use puppy training pads, but they aren't reusable, so I don't prefer them. Towels work okay, but get smelly much faster from how they absorb and stay wet with urine rather than drying (I think that's why).

I would be wary of grids from targets. The grids need to have no fewer than 8 squares across, or else they are not safe as pigs can crawl through the holes and get stuck. Just make sure you check them out. I think most Targets only cary the 5x5 grids instead of the 8x8 these days. I know Bed, Bath & Beyond caries the safe grids.

starrgazerr
07-10-14, 12:05 am
thanks so much for the help! I'll see if Bed Bath and Beyond is doable tomorrow (it's a little further but it'd be worth it!) One more question, how do you make a hay trough out of the storage cubes? or out of anything other than buying one for that matter...same with a litter box. Thank you again!

lissie
07-10-14, 12:22 am
I usually only change my fleece once a week, and I've got four pigs in my cage, so you should be good. Be sure that you have a good absorbent layer under the fleece. I use two layers of U-Haul pad and it works great. I know some people use puppy training pads, but they aren't reusable, so I don't prefer them. Towels work okay, but get smelly much faster from how they absorb and stay wet with urine rather than drying (I think that's why).

I would be wary of grids from targets. The grids need to have no fewer than 8 squares across, or else they are not safe as pigs can crawl through the holes and get stuck. Just make sure you check them out. I think most Targets only cary the 5x5 grids instead of the 8x8 these days. I know Bed, Bath & Beyond caries the safe grids.

Actually, the grids need to be 9x9 to be safe. Target grids contains some 5x5 and 8x8. Both are dangerous.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/81546-ALERT!-New-Target-grids-are-dangerous!-PLEASE-READ!!

starrgazerr
Do you have Home Depot near you? They have coroplast.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202771364?catalogId=10053

This place also sells 4x8 ft coroplast for $10 - $20.
http://www.sabicpolymershapes.com/polyshapes/PShapes/branchlocator/branchus.jsp

lissie
07-10-14, 12:24 am
thanks so much for the help! I'll see if Bed Bath and Beyond is doable tomorrow (it's a little further but it'd be worth it!) One more question, how do you make a hay trough out of the storage cubes? or out of anything other than buying one for that matter...same with a litter box. Thank you again!

You can bend a grid to make a hay rack. Lots of ideas in the gallery.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/g520-hay-racks.html

starrgazerr
07-10-14, 12:39 am
ah thank you so much! I saw bent ones but I didn't realize they were bendable, I thought maybe people were doing some crazy heat tricks to loosen them up haha. Silly me. Thank you I will be sure to buy 9x9 grids! I do have a home depot that would be easy to get to. I really appreciate the help!

Red5Iam
07-10-14, 01:00 am
Actually, the grids need to be 9x9 to be safe. Target grids contains some 5x5 and 8x8. Both are dangerous.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/81546-ALERT!-New-Target-grids-are-dangerous!-PLEASE-READ!!

Oops, thank you! 9x9.

starrgazerr
07-10-14, 01:10 pm
I couldn't find ANY of these cubes for the life of me! Bed bath and beyond replaced them with thin plastic and even the container store didn't have them. I ended up with barred shelves that i'm gonna be ziptieing together. Don't worry, the bars are close together! I'll post a pic on the cage pic forum when it's ready :)

Red5Iam
07-10-14, 02:54 pm
Can't wait to see it :) My cage is built from wire closet shelving, and assuming you have something similar to me they should be fine. :)

starrgazerr
07-10-14, 04:47 pm
Can't wait to see it :) My cage is built from wire closet shelving, and assuming you have something similar to me they should be fine. :)

Thanks!! Nice to hear someone else did what I did haha. :) Here are the pics! http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/71362-Let-s-see-your-cage-Pictures-please?p=877158&viewfull=1#post877158

Red5Iam
07-10-14, 05:03 pm
Looks good! I love the polka dot fleece! I have the same pattern in blue. :)