Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello~! Newish Guinea Pig owner, here!

ThisFluffyFox

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted a four and a half year old Guinea Pig from a local shelter and have been perusing a vast selection of Piggy forums for the last month or so, trying to figure out how to best care for my new little friend.
IMG_20140707_234047.jpg

She is, as I said, a four and a half year old female. She is white with a little grey nose and wide pinkish eyes; she is, also, one of the most friendly little critters that I have ever met. Our housemates have six cats, and we have two, and little Piggy, Edelweiss, loves to try and stick her nose out to greet them whenever she sees them walk past her room. When we're in the room, occasionally a cat will sit on the landing next to her cage and watch her for hours; she flops down as close to her cage walls as possible and watches them right back! Totally unfazed!

Unfortunately, she is a bit lonely, since we don't let the cats near her unless we are directly beside the cage. We're planning on getting her a cage mate soon, as soon as we can get a bigger cage for her and her future friend. I'm already looking at possible candidates at the local shelter.

I had a Guinea Pig when I was much, much younger: He was a pet store purchase, actually. And, like Edelweiss, he was one of the sweetest critters that I've ever known. He didn't like to be handled by my parents, or by strangers, but he would wait patiently and calmly for me to pick him up. And then he'd lay down beside me and watch the world happily. And if you'd ask him, "Watchu doin'?" he'd starting popcorning around his cage.
Unfortunately, the male, Cocoa, developed a tumor shortly before his fourth birthday, and didn't make it much longer after that. I was distraught.

So to say that I am overjoyed at the prospect of owning another Guinea Pig is a huge understatement. I'm just afraid that I'll make foolish mistakes in her care! So any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Holy cow, I hadn't meant to write so much!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Many of us had made mistakes at first. I see it as a learning experience. Your gonna make mistakes its just human nature. But I love seeing people like you who actually do research. This forum is just full of valuable information. I'm sure your gonna love it here.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! And thank you for adopting instead of shopping!

Just in case your interested, it looks like your lovely little piggy is a himalayan. I have two himalayans that aren't "purebreed" and one of them has the same kinda sooty looking nose too with similar ears :)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum! Your piggie is adorable!

PumpkinPig

Cavy Slave
Edelweiss is adorable! It's great that you're looking into getting her a friend.

Another place that is loaded with guinea pig information is the Cali Cavy Collective Blog: (broken link removed)
She has really cute pictures of all of her pigs and has lots of information about diet, health, cages, etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.