Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast/Polycarbonate?

darkbloom

Cavy Slave
Hello all,

I went out on a search for Coroplast for the new C&C-cage I am going to build, and I found a sign-store carrying something like it. When I got home, I started reading on the plastic cover of the sheet I bought, it says "Marlon Polycarbonate, 6mm" (they were out of 4mm). It can be cut and scored just like the Coroplast, but what made me worry now is that it says "expands with moisture and heat"!!! :eye-poppi Did I buy the wrong thing? I am worried! It is technically a roofing sheet, for greenhouses. It is clear in colour. Is it the wrong kind? :confused: I am also wondering if it would be toxic if the pigger chews on it. I told the guy at the store what I would use it for.

I am not going to start scoring and cutting until I get some thoughts from the experts here, maybe I can exchange it.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums!

I think it may be the wrong stuff - coroplast is waterproof, so I guess it doesn't expand with water and heat.

Try asking for a simple sheet of corrguated plastic - that might help you get the right stuff.

Good luck!

darkbloom

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the welcome and the feedback :)

Of course I couldn't sit still after I started the thread, I just wanted to start building, so I called the guy at the workshop (signmakers), and explained the situation. He said that when it is such a small project, it should be no problem, as opposed to a 9 meter long greenhouse-roof or along those lines (ha). He ended with a jolly "..and if something goes wrong, you can call me and yell at me". I said "ok, I will" :crazy:

I cut, scored and taped it together, and it looks great. I am hoping it will not expand or do any other funny business when it is exposed to liquid.

If anyone has heard of this product before, I would really like to hear your thoughts too.

Pookie

Cavy Slave
You say it can be used as "roofing material"? I hope it doesn't have any fiberglass in it, as you wouldn't want your piggie chewing on that? I'm going to see what you bought when I go to Lowes, that might be another avenue for me as I'm not having any luck with finding coroplast.

TheMadWheeker

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

TheMadWheeker

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

TheMadWheeker

Cavy Slave
Seems to be a thin plastic roofing tile very similar to coroplast only it is usually clear for allowing light to flow through for greenhouses and such!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.