Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Midwest c&c vs midwest canvas

piglover0208

Cavy Gazer
I need a new cage for my guinea pig. I got her when she was 2 months old. Shes now almost 7 months. I got one of those kaytee cages from petco with a starter kit. It was cool and good at first but shes grown so much. She barely has any room to popcorn or do anything she wants. I want to know which is better, c&c or the canvas midwest cage? Also if you have experience from either please state what you do to keep them clean! Thank you :)

You can make a C&C cage much cheaper than paying for a Midwest cage, you can make a C&C larger than a Midwest and a C&C has a plastic tray which is easy to keep clean unlike a canvas bottom.

A spray bottle with 50/50 vinegar and paper towels and water are all you need to keep a C&C clean.

How do I make the cage? Im not very crafty lol

I have a midwest.. I'm currently making a DIY 2 story cage…. Even though I have a midwest I'd always say go with the c&c :) look up on youtube how to make them theres like a million videos

You can buy the C&C kits from this site which would make them very, very easy since the hardest part is going to be fitting your coroplast base to the cubes correctly. I don't have a C&C, but my cage is very similar in terms of how it's constructed. I switched to it from a Midwest. And while the Midwest was fine, it was smaller than I really wanted it to be in the end. If you wind up with two pigs, you'll want more space than you can accommodate in the Midwest, I think. Plus, the C&C will enable much easier expansion and customization.

I prefer a C&C since it's easier to build it bigger when you want too and you can also design it however you want. You can buy grids at Kmart, Target, Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. Then buy coroplast from Home Depot or buy a coroplast base from this website. Then you can get any pattern of fleece you want from JoAnn Fabrics or Walmart. Or you can choose Carefresh bedding, wood pellets, or Aspen or Killn' Dry Pine.
I vacuum my cage out every other day since I have fleece and full out clean once a week where I put everything in the washer with a clear detergent (no softener) than when it's done, I hang it outside on my clothing line! If I had bedding, I would scoop out the feces and pee every day or every other day and scoop everything out once a week. For both methods, use a 50/50 white vinegar and water mix to clean the coroplast!
Also, if you use fleece, make a kitchen area using a plastic box with an opening and use any of the bedding above so its easier to clean out the box (since guinea pigs will go to the bathroom where they eat) and so the hay doesn't stick to the fleece as much!

How do I make the cage? Im not very crafty lol

How to make:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

YouTube videos would be helpful too.

Materials:

Coroplast:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202771364?catalogId=10053
(broken link removed)

Grids: (most stores will ship to your local store for free)
Sears: 23 grids for $21.99
https://www.sears.com/stor-floor-st...p-00913332000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Kmart: 23 grids for $18.69
https://www.kmart.com/stor-floor-st...W435219990001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Walmart: 16 grids for $21.97
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-White-Wire-Storage-Cubes-Four-Cubes-Interlocked/5005200

Bed Bath & Beyond: 19 grids for $19.99
(broken link removed)

Amazon: 16 grids for $21.97 (prices seem to fluctuate on Amazon)
(broken link removed)

I have both: Midwest and 2 x 4 C & C. I too started with a pet store kit. The midwest is used when I need to do a complete clean out of the c & c. I don't care for it. The canvas is a pain and gets wrinkled if you wash it rather than just do a scrup down. It's pretty flimsy too.

I bought my c & c set up from this site. Everything is cut perfectly so you just easily put it together. I got the kitchen and fleece flippers as well, which is a lifesaver as I hate doing laundry and the flippers drag that out nicely. Cleaning is easy, I spray white vinegar and use a sponge to wipe it down.

Check out the stores on this site. Plus you are supporting the running of this forum, so I'd say if you can, buy from here. 2 in 1!

At which section do you get the flippers? I have my eye on the medium cage . I only have 1 pig but shes very hyper in her cage and spends alot of time there (mainly cause she just runs back when I take her out) . I never had a cage like this. Always one with bedding that I need to scoop out and refill . I wouldnt know what to do for this one . Any suggestions on what works best for yall :)

Ha I got it :love: . I see that people use doggy trainer pads . Others use towels . How exactly do you do this im ready

With fleece, you can make an absorbent layer using a U-Haul pad! Just sow together the fleece and U-Haul pad and I think that's it!

At which section do you get the flippers? I have my eye on the medium cage . I only have 1 pig but shes very hyper in her cage and spends alot of time there (mainly cause she just runs back when I take her out) . I never had a cage like this. Always one with bedding that I need to scoop out and refill . I wouldnt know what to do for this one . Any suggestions on what works best for yall :)
Go to the fleece store on this site and it gives great detail about what it is and the advantages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.