Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Boys and girls in the same room? (not same cage)

6GPS7

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I hope this is the right forum for this question, I'm such a newb! lol The whole sordid (lol) story of how I ended up with 3 males and 3 females (1 pregnant) is posted in the intro thread... They are all in quarantine now for various reasons (2 URIs, and 2 for just being new to the herd.) One of my females is also pregnant (I did not intentionally breed her, I rescued her and she came to me that way). I am trying to figure out how to cage them, it's going to depend on their personalities and if the baby(ies) are male or female. But I'm wondering, in general, is it possible to have males in the same room (not cages!) as females? Will the boys scale Mt. Everest (aka their C&C cages) if they can smell the females? Or, is this do-able?

pinky

Cavy Slave
You could build a double decker cage with the males on the lower level and the females on the upper level. The males can't get to the females that way if they ever get out. The other option is to put a lid on the males' cage. I've had males in the same room with females with no problems.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Depends on how determined the male is. I have one male that could care less that girls are right next door in a c&c cage. My other male with try to "eat" through the c&c bar, but nothing more. THEN my one girl crazy male would pace back and forth, just driving himself crazy. My c&c cages were on carpet, then on vinyl, with newspaper, towel and fleece. I came home one day and found him looking scared to death in the tunnel in the GIRLS cage. I put him back in his cage and found that he moved the c&c over the edge of all the flooring and it was just a very little space, but being a rodent, he wiggled under and wiggled under the girls. I watched him do it. I thought he was going over as he was also a climber. As a result, I had two babies. One didn't survive birth and the living son of his is now 6 weeks and just as horny. I catch him trying his best to eat through. SO.............. I am going to Lowes to measure and buy the closet white metal rack thingies to cover the cage. It will be heavy enough to hold it down so he can't get under and a lid to keep him in!!!
Huckleberry seems very determined just like his daddy.

6GPS7

Cavy Slave
Thanks all, I am just going to have to try it. My boys' new cage is currently on the floor (though I do intend to elevate it) and my girls are elevated. Once my boys are done with quarantine, I'll just put them in there on the floor cage and see how it goes! Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.