Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Orange or Bloody

• Thread starter WheekedGoodPigs
  • Start date

WheekedGoodPigs

Cavy Slave
Just this morning I notice that Edward had some yellowy/orange/pinkish (think sherbert) colored pee, and now leaving what I think is a little bloody spot. This is the first time I've seen this, or could be because we temporarily have in a white fleece in their c&c.

What are treatments for a UTI? What antibiotics are safe for guinea pigs? I can pick something up today for him if that is the case but I am unsure if the vet for my dogs is guinea pig savvy.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Just this morning I notice that Edward had some yellowy/orange/pinkish (think sherbert) colored pee, and now leaving what I think is a little bloody spot. This is the first time I've seen this, or could be because we temporarily have in a white fleece in their c&c.

What are treatments for a UTI? What antibiotics are safe for guinea pigs? I can pick something up today for him if that is the case but I am unsure if the vet for my dogs is guinea pig savvy.
Can you post a photo of the spots? Sometimes guinea pigs' urine will turn an orange color due to the foods they eat. If it was me and I thought it might be blood, I'd schedule a vet appointment with an exotic vet to rule out a UTI or stones. You don't give antibiotics unless there's been a diagnosis that supports the treatment. If he does have a urinary tract infection or stones, it's probably painful so you might hear him squeaking when he pees or hunching over when he goes to the bathroom. UTIs are treated with antibiotics. Males are rarely able to pass stones unless they are really tiny. They usually require surgery to remove them.

WheekedGoodPigs

Cavy Slave
They had an unbeknownst to me, about two handfuls of kale yesterday and a teensy bit of radicchio.

pinky

Cavy Slave
They had an unbeknownst to me, about two handfuls of kale yesterday and a teensy bit of radicchio.

I don't think either of those would cause orange urine. If you feed him kale a lot, it could cause bladder stones since it's really high in calcium. Radicchio is fine to feed regularly. Upload a photo if you can. I'd leave him on the white fleece and keep monitoring the color of the urine. I've had a couple of stone pigs and the urine looked more pinkish or reddish and dried brown. Occasionally, you might see darker clots. If a UTI is just starting, it might be a lighter hue.

WheekedGoodPigs

Cavy Slave
Is there a list of guinea pig safe meds? He's gonna go tomorrow for an xray and urinalysis but I want to make sure if they prescribe something that it is safe for him.

WheekedGoodPigs

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION]!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.