Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Symptoms of an Ear Infection?

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig had a slight head tilt, and her balance is also a little off, so I'm worried she might have an ear infection, but I'm not positive of all the symptoms of an ear infection because she's eating and acting normally besides the slight tilt and the balance. Is that enough to have to bring her to the vet? Anyone know how much money it is for the antibiotics for an ear infection, too? PLEASE help!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
A head tilt is nearly always an ear infection. The balance issue just reassures the ear infection further. I'd take her in ASAP. Antibiotics won't be cheap.

She's not acting sick because guinea pigs are prey animals that try their hardest to seem healthy (and therefore not vulnerable to predators).

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
it's really that severe? :(

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes. If you don't get treatment right away, her head may get worse, and stay that way. Also the infection could spread to other parts and make her very, very sick.

Pigs with permanent head tilts often have problems throughout their lives. It could be because the normal drainage is messed up? I've had a couple of head tilt pigs who developed eye problems, and have one right now prone to abscessing behind the ear.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
A good rule of thumb to go by is when you see symptoms of something, assume that it's been around for maybe a week before then, and your pig has been hiding it. I go by that and when I noticed a few symptoms in one of my girls, it was straight to the vets. Turns out she has walking dandruff (it's a type of parasite) and the vet said in all her years as a vet she's never seen it in this early a stage and that treatment should be easier because of that.

The longer a problem goes on, the worse it gets, the more intense it gets, the more your pig suffers, and furthermore, the worse it gets the more treatment it may need.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.