Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Coughing/ Wheezing after/ during feeding, possible voice problems?

BaaBerry

Cavy Gazer
Howdy!

My GP girl Winnifred has started coughing/wheezing during and shortly after veggie time. She's gotten into a pretty typical pattern now: hop around, eat some veggies, cough/wheeze for a few seconds, hop around some more, repeat. Her energy and appetite seem unaffected, shes constantly sprightly and curious and hungry.

Another problem she seems to have is with her vocals. It's odd, and she's awfully camera shy so it's hard to get audio, but whenever she tries to "wheek" it comes out sounding raspy and hollow-like. She can purr and bubble fine though. Any suggestions on what could be going on? Could this be a URI??

I'm keeping an extra eye on her right now, to see if anything else develops.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I would have her checked out. It does sound like she could have an URI or pneumonia even. Do you weigh her weekly?

I believe some pigs with heart problems have problems wheezing and "hooting".

BaaBerry

Cavy Gazer
I haven't had her long enough to weigh her weekly actually, I also didn't really realize the importance of weight recording for the little fuzzers! I'll be getting a scale tomorrow and beginning weekly weigh-ins then. Also PNEUMONIA? Eek! That's terrifying! That stuff almost knocked ME in the hospital, what would it do to a poor piggie?

Does this mean I should seperate my girls? I got them together from a rescue, and they are a bonded pair.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
No need to separate.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd have her vet checked asap. Sneezing is one thing but once it progresses to coughing, I'd also be concerned that she has pneumonia. They can go downhill really fast so I wouldn't wait to see how it plays out. She probably needs to be on an antibiotic.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
You will need to find an exotics vet, a cat and dog vet won't know how to properly treat piggies. Take both to the vet in case the other (Pearl, iirc) is sick or starting to get sick too. Plus, they will be less stressed if they stay together.

BaaBerry

Cavy Gazer
Thank you all for the info! Luckily, there's multiple reputable exotic animal vets around my area, so I'll be calling around tomorrow to see the soonest I can get these ladies a check up! I'll keep everyone posted!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have one guinea pig that has a very flat face, almost like a Pug. She makes raspy squeaks. I think it tends to happen more in the teddies and texels. She doesn't cough, though. I took one of mine to the vet last week when I noticed a few squeezes and she started to cough. Sure enough, the vet said it was a URI that could be turning to pneumonia. She said consistent coughing should always be checked out because it could be a URI that's settled in the lungs.

BaaBerry

Cavy Gazer
Vet appointment set up! I figured to just go ahead and get a check up for the both of them. Unfortunately though, timing isn't the best and I couldn't get an appointment until Saturday. Fourth of July is my favorite holiday, but it does have a tendency to muss up plans. At one clinic the exotic vet isn't in every day and the other clinic has exotic specific days, and Friday they are both closed. Obviously guinea pigs are full of secrets and not everyone has the skills to decipher them!

Winnie's condition hasn't changed, for better or for worse, so I'm cautiously taking it as a "good thing" and that we'll be able to make it to Saturday without any problems.

I used to make fun of my older sister, and how she went into a tizzy every time my nephew so much as sniffled. Now I get how she feels.

Also, Pearl is currently running laps. Work them stubby little legs, girl!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.