PDA

View Full Version : Liners First Time Making Liners

Golden2404
06-28-14, 07:09 pm
So I have been saving up and have finally been able to purchase a 2x5 C&C cage but there's no way I can afford fleece flippers. I found cheap fleece at my local Walmart and was wondering how many yards of fleece would I need to make a cage liner? Another question I have is what should I use for the middle of my liner? What works best, I have heard about towels and puppy pads but neither of those sound really absorbent and machine washable enough for this. I may be wrong but that's why I decided to ask my questions here.

MrsGuineaPig
06-28-14, 07:59 pm
You can buy a layer of UHaul pads here: http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Furniture-Pad
Sow both the fleece and uhaul pad and you have your very own fleece flipper :)
and here;s how to make fleece flippers: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/71625-Fleece-cage-liner-tutorial

Golden2404
06-28-14, 08:06 pm
Thanks and I had no idea that you could make fleece flippers! I think i might try that because I love the idea of them but they were much to expensive. Thanks so much for the link!

pigger123
06-28-14, 08:07 pm
I second Uhaul pads for the absorbent layer. For a 2x5 cage (where it's a single liner that has two layers of Uhaul encased in fleece on both sides), you'll need 2 yards of fleece and one Uhaul pad. If you want to make liners like the ones in the link, you'll need extra fleece to go over the coroplast sides. You'll want two liners so you have one to put in the cage while the other is being washed.

By the way, that link is for a cage liner, not fleece flippers. Flippers are a totally different design.

Golden2404
06-28-14, 08:16 pm
Do you happen to have a tutorial for how to make a liner using the material that you suggested pigger123? I'm a very visual learner but I can also learn from a written pattern.

MrsGuineaPig
06-28-14, 08:26 pm
By the way, that link is for a cage liner, not fleece flippers. Flippers are a totally different design.

Oops sorry, that's right! Thanks for correcting me!

pigger123
06-28-14, 08:26 pm
Do you want to make a regular cage liner, or actual fleece flippers?

Golden2404
06-28-14, 08:35 pm
I think I should start with a regular cage liner

pigger123
06-28-14, 08:55 pm
Here's another great tutorial with pictures: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/95478-TUTORIAL-Invertible-amp-Stuffable-Pillowcase-Pad-with-fold-over-flaps?highlight=

The tutorial that MrsGuineaPig linked to is for a liner that goes up and over the sides of the cage, which is great if you have pigs that burrow under the fleece. The one I linked to is for fleece-flipper-type things, but they're different than the ones sold by the fleece store on here.

If you want just a big absorbent fleece pad to lay down in the cage, it's pretty simple to make. You prewash your fleece at least 3 times, prewash your Uhaul at least once, and cut it all to size. You want 2 pieces of fleece a few inches longer and wider than the bottom of your cage, and a piece of Uhaul the size of the fleece. Put the fleece right sides together, put the uhaul on top, and sew around the edges but leave an opening to turn it right side out. Turn it right side out, sew up the opening, and sew all around a few inches in from the edge.

Golden2404
06-28-14, 09:04 pm
Thanks, I'm going to make these soon. I dont know if my babies will burrow but if they do then I will just make the ones that go up the sides. But for now I'm happy with just some simple liners.

pigger123
06-28-14, 09:21 pm
If they do end up burrowing under it, you can always add the side pieces to the regular liner.