Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New boys still very skittish after over a month!

DocAndTeddy

Cavy Gazer
My boyfriend and I adopted two brother whom we love very much. We've had them for over a month now and they are still very skittish. We've done everything the way you're supposed to when you first get new pigs. We waited multiple days until we hand fed them, then started hand feeding them everyday. They still won't get anywhere near us if we try to pet them or pick the up. Any advice?! Thanks!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
That how all 4 of my sows are. I've had Nala and Pumpkin for 2 years, and Sarabi and Butternut for 1. Guinea pigs are prey animals and may never be super social. You can't pet or pick up any of my sows with ease but when their held they love you. Especially after 1 month, they are still hesitant of youbecasue who knows, you might EAT them! Hahaha!! Guinea pigs are silly creatures.

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
i think it's totally normal. mine took a few months before they were completely comfortable with me. at times they still try and run away when i go to pick them up, but they purr and cuddle once i hold them. try petting them while their in their cage sometimes, so they feel safe. also, when you do hold them, feed them their favorite vegetables. you can always win over a piggie through his belly.:)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Most guinea pigs will not let you pet them while in their cage, and are hard to catch. They just can't get over that instinct to run when someone is trying to catch them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.