PDA

View Full Version : Abscess Piggy died after taking her home from the vet

PeanuButter219
06-22-14, 09:47 am
We have a piggy that we brought in to the vet for an abscess drained, she passed away that night after taking her home. We are very saddened how this procedure could have killed her, especially to think all the pain that she might have gone through. She was still really active and eating well before we brought her in that day, after she came home she didn't eat at all and we were to bring her back in the next day if she didn't progress. When we noticed that she was dead, her nose was bleeding and her mouth was fill with whats looked like a dried blood, is this a surgery that gone wrong? What are the chances of this happening on a abscess drain. Please if someone can provide some insights on this it will be deeply appreciated. We are now stuck with a large bill, a dead pig, and its companion that deeply missed her. Her companion now just sit in her house and won't leave.

SomethingFunny
06-22-14, 11:09 am
I'm sorry for your loss. I don't know enough about piggy medicine to tell you if it might have been a result of the procedure, but I hope you and your remaining pig start to feel better soon.

bpatters
06-22-14, 11:25 am
Without more information, it's hard to know whether her death is the result of the surgery or not. Guinea pigs don't do well with anesthetics, and it takes an experienced vet and vet tech to safely put them under for surgery. Also, the location of the abscess might have contributed to the problem, or not.

If you still have her, you could take her in for a necropsy, but you might want to take her to a different vet than the one who treated her, if you can find one that would do a necropsy under those circumstances. The bleeding nose and blood in the mouth is very unusual unless the abscess was in the nose or mouth.

Where exactly was the abscess? Did the vet remove it, or just open it and drain it? What medications (anesthetic, pain meds, antibiotics) was she given (strength and dosage)? Did she come home on any pain medication for you to continue? Were you given any instructions on how to hand feed her if she didn't start eating soon? Was this an exotic vet, or just a small animal vet?

I'm sorry you lost your piggy. The best thing you can do for your remaining pig is to get her a friend. If you'll post the name of the city/state you're closest to, we'll be happy to help you find a reputable rescue.

PeanuButter219
06-22-14, 12:29 pm
Without more information, it's hard to know whether her death is the result of the surgery or not. Guinea pigs don't do well with anesthetics, and it takes an experienced vet and vet tech to safely put them under for surgery. Also, the location of the abscess might have contributed to the problem, or not.

If you still have her, you could take her in for a necropsy, but you might want to take her to a different vet than the one who treated her, if you can find one that would do a necropsy under those circumstances. The bleeding nose and blood in the mouth is very unusual unless the abscess was in the nose or mouth.

Where exactly was the abscess? Did the vet remove it, or just open it and drain it? What medications (anesthetic, pain meds, antibiotics) was she given (strength and dosage)? Did she come home on any pain medication for you to continue? Were you given any instructions on how to hand feed her if she didn't start eating soon? Was this an exotic vet, or just a small animal vet?

I'm sorry you lost your piggy. The best thing you can do for your remaining pig is to get her a friend. If you'll post the name of the city/state you're closest to, we'll be happy to help you find a reputable rescue.

The abscess is near the throat/neck area. I don't know if it was surgically removed, or it was just drained. I went back today to talk to the vet, but she wasn't there. Will have to wait when she come in or have her called me to get more information on the procedure and what was done. From the invoice, Isoflurance Gas and buprenex injection .4mg/ml was used during the procedure. She was not given any pain medication only the antibiotic and probiotic which was never even used because she wouldn't eat. I was not told to hand feed, but did I tried after she wouldn't touch any food. I even tried to give her water through a syringe and I think she was in too much pain. I don't have her remains anymore, I brought her remains back today for them to dispose. Our remaining guinea pig is acting very weird and sniffs around a lot, we didn't want any scent of the remains around the house. The only thing I have is the picture of the surgical incision and of the nose and mouth area after death.

I don't think this vet is specialize specifically for exotic pets or small animal. This might have been our mistake to take her in here, although we looked for many vets around the area for this was the last resort.

We are near Fremont, Ca/San Francisco,CA and it would be great to get a list of reputable rescue that we can adopt her a friend. The remaining piggy Peanut been acting weird since, she sniffs around a lot and is very cautious of everything for some reasons. This is very concerning and it not like her at all.

lissie
06-22-14, 01:18 pm
I'm very sorry for your loss.

May I ask where you took your pig to? I also live in the Bay area.

Based on your location, it would be closer for you to adopt from Cavy House.
http://www.cavyhouse.org/Home.html

Here's a list of rescues.
http://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations.html#CA

If you need a new vet, here are vet lists.

http://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/index.php/Veterinarians_California

http://www.cavyhouse.org/exotic_veterinarians.htm

http://www.cavyspirit.com/vets.htm

oldnewie
06-22-14, 02:11 pm
My sympathies go to you, I'm so sorry