Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C C&C Cage Building

piggsters

Cavy Slave
I am currently planning to build a new C&C Cage for my little piglet. I can't wait! I plan on making it a multi-level, but don't know how. Any ideas on how to make a ramp and second level? Do I need more coroplast? As you can see, I've never made a multi-level C&C Cage.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Do you have one big cage and just wanna add a loft? Guinea pigs prefer one big open flat area opposed to multiple level cages and sometimes ramps get in the way of their running. How large of a C&C cage did you wanna build?

piggsters

Cavy Slave
I wanna build a 2x4 and put the ramp in the corner so she can run around without interuption. On the second level I wanna put her food and water and the bathroom area.

piggsters

Cavy Slave
Please help me, I really want an experienced person to give me some information on how to build it. I really wanna build a multi-level to give her some more room and more space.

GuineaPigMania2

Cavy Slave
What size loft would you like? A 2x1 or a 2x2?

piggsters

Cavy Slave
2x2, but it will be in a position that the ramp will be in the corner

piggsters

Cavy Slave
I'm gonna bump this cause the store I go to is almost out of coroplast and i'm not sure if I need more

pinky

Cavy Slave
You need to decide how tall you want the sides to be. Then, calculate what size you need for the base and the second level.

piggsters

Cavy Slave
Ok, I understand it now... but how do I build a ramp?

lissie

Cavy Slave
There are many ways to build a ramp. The most popular one is probably bending the grids then zip tie them together, then zip tie coroplast to the grids. Look in the ramp gallery.

(broken link removed)

Chloe_s_mom

Cavy Slave
I bought my original ramps from the Guinea Pig Cage Store but for subsequent ramps, made them out of spare coro. The tricky part of working with coro is knowing which side to score the coro to allow fold properly. Essentially, you want to make a ramp in a rectangular shape, with the main part being wide enough for a piggy to comfortably use. The width of an adult's hand (so about 4") looks about right to me, with sides folding up . To attach the ramp to the loft, leave a tail on the ramp - the part that the piggy uses to walk on, that can be tucked under the loft's coro, and secured with either stick on Velcro or a two sided tape, etc.

The downside of lofts is accessing underneath. Our piggies like to run and hide when I try to pick them up, and trying to reach under a 2 x 2 loft would suck. Do you have room to OFFSET your loft, meaning that one portion of the loft hangs over/cantilevers off the end of the cage? If you do a google search on offset guinea pig cage loft, you will see examples.

piggsters

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for your advice! I promise i'll post pigtures of my baby in her new cage!

Chloe_s_mom

Cavy Slave
A quick note re bending the grids - do look for where the grid frame is soldered together - if it is part of the area to be bent, most likely it will snap apart (not really a huge issue but a bit annoying and potentially sharp). To bend the grid, I like to wear a good pair of thick soled shoes, and after marking each side of the grid (so that I don't try to bend the grid on an angle), I put the grid on a tile floor, then I put my toes on either side of the frame, near the sharpie mark, and gently bend the grid towards me. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.