Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How to Keep Fleece Down on Midwest Cage, New Guinea Pig Soon!

lexeelayne

Cavy Slave
Hi Everyone! I am new here on this forum. I currently have 2 dogs, a turtle, and 3 rats. On Friday, I will be bringing home a new friend from the animal shelter! He is housed alone and does not get along with other pigs so he will be alone. I have ordered everything I need off of amazon, including the Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat. Few questions, how do you keep the guinea pig from going under the fleece, even when I tuck it into the towel that will be going under it? I have heard some people say they just put tiles/bricks in the corners but I feel like that is such a waste of space, well at least having a brick to keep the fleece flat.

Any suggestions? I am super excited to bring home future Beauregard!

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
Since I sewed a fleece liner, I'm not sure how much I can help in terms of keeping it down without that. BUT, as far as rocks go, my girls have two bricks in their cage under their water bottles and they are great about helping to keep their nails down, so I don't have to trim them as much (at least, the front nails). And they do help keep fleece in place, but for me that's an added bonus. Just somethign to think about. :)

Welcome to the forum and I can't wait to see pictures of Beauregard!

lexeelayne

Cavy Slave
That's a really good idea I will definitely do that, thank you!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
You can wrap the fleece up and over the sides of the cage and clip it down, but I'm not sure how possible that would be with a Midwest cage.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have fleece flippers and absolutely love them… You can also try piggy bedspreads.com

GeekPrincess

Cavy Slave
I have two big fiddle stick bridges that keep the fleece down enough my boys don't try to burrow. I also sew the fleece a little larger than the bottom (like a 1/2in) that helps deter them.

I'd post a picture but I'm going to be bringing them to my moms tomorrow for 5 days and I'm setting up their temp cage tonight so everything is a bit in shambles.

Guardianof3

Cavy Slave
As mentioned by Pigger123, clips may work. I have fleece flippers AND I created my own floor spread (for when flippers are being cleaned) - top layer anti-pill fleece, second layer ZORB (from Amazon) then bottom layer anti-pill fleece. Since I did not cut exactly to fit my 2x4, I have to clip the excess to the coroplast with these clips 20140618_151946[1].jpg 20140618_152003[1].jpg. first I tried the clips from my toddler's clothes hangers (which worked well, I just didn't like the look of it) 20140618_152134[1].jpg

lexeelayne

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for the helpful tips! It worked out great! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.