Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Oh ya! Which of these materials are safe for piggies to chew

A

animemoon

Oh ya! Which of these materials are safe for piggies to chew

I had asked that question a while ago, about the baby toys, whether they will be okay...

but also, what materials here are okay for pigs to chew on???

---Wooden toys? ..... painted? or unpainted?
---Rubber? (i.e. a rubber ducky or something maybe?) what if its painted too? (like eyes or the beak?)
---Plastic??? what kind of "plastic toys" would be okay???

I want to kinda experiment with different things, but i need to make sure what the piggies may like, and may like to chew on is safe! im also unsure about painted things..... like painted toys or something....

also, what paint can i use, that i could use on a wooden sign (like the piggies names) if i wanted to put it on the cage? i want safe paint, in case they find a way to chew on it or something....

Please let me know! im going to get baby piggies, and i want to give them loads of toys! ive had pigs before, but i got them when they were older, and they didnt care for anything.....

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Oh ya! Which of these materials are safe for piggies to

They don't need or usually care for loads of toys. Loads of space with things to run around and through are good. See the Toys page on the main site for ideas. www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm

A

animemoon

But "IF" I were to use an accessory, even if for d

IF i were to use an accessory, even if it was just a decoration, what materials are okay to use???

Treen

Cavy Slave
Re: But "IF" I were to use an accessory, even if f

The toys my pigs like best are the simple ideas like cardboard rolls stuffed with hay and cardboard boxes (use plain brown ones with no staples, glue or tape on) turned upside down with little doors cut out. They also like chubes - cardboard tunnels made for small animals - which they can run through. All completely safe.

I certainly wouldn't use paint on anything you're making them - or put anything painted in the cage. It might make it look nicer to you but they won't be bothered by it and the least things like paint and chemicals you can use on anthing they have access to and will chew, the better! I don't put anything plastic or rubber in for my piggers either. Anything which they can potentially chew a bit off and possibly swallow some or make a rough edge they could injure themselves on, is best avoided.

A lot of people use wooden houses and accessories. Just avoid any treated with varnish, sealants or paint as they will chew on it. Use plain wood and don't paint anything on it.

All the best,

Treen
(broken link removed)

A

animemoon

Thank you!

Okay.... Thank you very much! ^_^

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.