Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where to Find Guinea Pigs to Adopt in the Pacific Northwest USA

happy.cavy

Cavy Slave
Hi, fellow cavy slaves!

I've had some questions come through my blog asking where you can find guinea pigs to adopt in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest.

Aside from the usual online adoption go-to websites (Guinea Pig Zone, Craigslist, Petfinder, etc.), there aren't a lot of resources in my state and even my geographic region that work to adopt and re-home guinea pigs.

Because of this, I spent a lot of time putting together a list of VERIFIED organizations in Oregon State and in the Pacific Northwest USA that shelter and re-home guinea pigs.

I haven't come across a list like this before so I'm posting this link with the intent to help others who may be looking to adopt a guinea pig in Oregon, Washington, or Idaho, aside from using online resources.

Where to Find a Guinea Pig to Adopt in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest USA

My hope is that this list helps those looking to re-home a guinea pig or two in need of a Forever Home! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
You should add Foggy Creek Cavy Rescue to the list. She is amazing and has tons of piggies that need forever homes.

You should add Foggy Creek Cavy Rescue to the list. She is amazing and has tons of piggies that need forever homes.

Glad to see you're thinking of Foggy Creek Cavy Rescue (Auburn, WA)! :) In January 2011, the adoption of Feebee and Buttercup was facilitated by Foggy Creek via a third party.

So they're already on the list, but thanks for making sure :)

Last edited:
Aside from the usual online adoption go-to websites (Guinea Pig Zone, Craigslist, Petfinder, etc.), there aren't a lot of resources in my state and even my geographic region that work to adopt and re-home guinea pigs.
It's great to see someone putting together a comprehensive list, but I wanted to mention that I've never, ever, ever, ever had a hard time finding a guinea pig at a rescue in this state.

I am so sorry. I totally missed that they were already on the list.

I've never, ever, ever, ever had a hard time finding a guinea pig at a rescue in this state.

I agree: I've never met with difficulty, either. There are plenty of animal shelters and humane societies in Oregon where people can look. (Hello, Oregon Humane Society?? They almost always seem to have an available pig or bonded pair.) So I totally get that finding a cavy in Oregon isn't as difficult as finding a guinea pig to adopt in a more sparsely populated region.

Nevertheless, I've had more than a few emails asking where someone can find guinea pigs to adopt in Oregon. I guess I was addressing (in exaggerated fashion in the post) the perceived "difficulty" of finding guinea pigs in a state without a dedicated guinea pig rescue. But I'm glad you like the idea of the list! :)

A bit off topic(as a few users nabbed my ideas already:D) but, I just LOVE that poop factory picture! That is SO awesome and SO creative!!! My girls would of already knocked it over and attacked the tissue paper.

As a pig mom just recently introducing a bonded pair of females to an older female pig, I was following the Happy Cavy blog very closely as they have just introduced a new pig to the herd of three. I found it invaluable to follow your experience. Fortunately, so far, my bonded pair: Stella and Cocoa had a very successful introduction to Charlotte a few days ago and all is well. I have to say, they all had nails that were way too long and I really struggle to clip them alone without help, especially the new, younger, more active ones, so I took them to a pet groomer today for some help. In the process, not unlike the last thing to do to assist in bonding, I had to transport them all together in a less-than-big-cage. It's funny, all three managed to fit into a grass or hay tunnel that really is not designed to hold three pigs. It goes to show that they bond quite readily under stress which is probably why the taking a bath together, ultimate strategy works. Just noticing.

Also I left them in the bigger space in the bathroom overnight just so they could continue to have a lot of space to work things out until they did. Then it was easy to put them into the final enclosure and they have been fine together since then. Being tired and worn out, probably helped. Bonding over food fist thing in the AM probably helped.

thanks for listening,

Happy to hear intros went so well, karwask! I'm rather adverse to the "stress introduction" thing, but, with Dot, it may come down to that. Re-introductions will be conducted late September, there will be some info about it on the blog of course :)

Thanks for sharing! It sure helps to get other people's experiences with introductions :)

Happy to hear intros went so well, karwask! I'm rather adverse to the "stress introduction" thing, but, with Dot, it may come down to that. Re-introductions will be conducted late September, there will be some info about it on the blog of course :)

Thanks for sharing! It sure helps to get other people's experiences with introductions :)

Happy Cavy,

You as well. I look forward to continuing to monitor how it all goes with Dot. I'm sure there's a way to work it out. As a group, as you say, we can benefit from each other's experience, trials, errors and experiments.

I only felt comfortable leaving them in bathroom overnight as they seem to have settled in and down. With that said, as you know, one can't make any assumptions at all so your plans for monitoring Dot during the day and separation at night might be a very wise way to take the next step indeed.

thx

It's great to see someone putting together a comprehensive list, but I wanted to mention that I've never, ever, ever, ever had a hard time finding a guinea pig at a rescue in this state.

Here I am, late to the party!

I don't know if it's hard to find guinea pigs in Oregon or not, but I do get a large amount of inquiries from there.

Thank you, Lilathandra and happy.cavy, for thinking of me!

I don't know if it's hard to find guinea pigs in Oregon or not, but I do get a large amount of inquiries from there.

Maybe it's just where I'm at in Oregon, but there are only two pigs between me and Foggy Creek, which is why I spoke to you about possibly adopting. And that 250 miles away, so the search on petfinder would include south as closer as well, which would mean pretty much all of Oregon. But then again, it may be the wrong time of year. There were tons of babies in spring.

I have 2 boys up for adoption in Centralia, WA , they were born August 10th. I will be listing them on guineapigzone. We got the momma pregnant.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.