Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids Trouble with Design-a-Cubes (9x9 Grids from BBB)

Jessica Dale

Cavy Slave
Did anyone else have trouble with the "Design-a-Cubes" brand from Bed Bath and Beyond?

My hands are killing me. It is extremely flimsy and difficult to assemble (compared to Target 8x8 grid brand). Some of the grids are bent/warped a little.

I wanted to put a bottom to the cage but it doesn't work, nothing stays secured and once you try to pop one side in the other pops out. So a second levels feels completely out of the question (oh yes I attempted it) and it was really flimsy/unsafe/not secure. Even if I put kind of like a support grid underneath between two grids. Ahhh...

I am very happy we were notified about the 9x9 grids, I'm just thoroughly displeased in their quality compared to the 8x8 grids. But the 8x8 are NOT safe and we are very happy to have upgraded despite the frustration.

I would love help with these grids. I'm off to go cut up all the new coroplast I got from Home Depot. I put some of my old coroplast in just to see if the dimensions are similar to the old grids. It appears they are.

Feeling defeated! I wanted a second level (since it can't be any wider or longer than 2x4) Thanks for your help!

Trouble with Design-a-Cubes (9x9 Grids from BBB)

I purchased a box from BBB a couple of weeks back and was very displeased as well. For all the same reasons. And some of the connectors just slide right off...no teeth to them! You could always try using zipties to make it more secure. Also, you could double your grids....since you like the target ones (yes, they are unsafe when used along) you could zip tie a safe 9 square one over to make the 8 square holes smaller for the walls....just a thought though it may be more of a pain in the derriere to do!

I got my 9 square grids from Kmart. They are great. sturdy, straight, great connectors. I had them delivered to my local Sears and picked them up there.

I just ordered from kmart.com as well so hopefully they will be good. I took the ones I got from BBB back for all the reasons you mentioned.

Just so you know, divider in the cages are not recommended. Guinea pigs need space to run laps. Putting dividers in the cage defeats the purpose of giving them a 2x4. If you need support for the loft, you can use wood.

(broken link removed)

For troubles with the grids and connectors, I use pliers to squeeze them together, then use zip ties to secure them so they won't pop out.

@lissie is that a run area in the bottom as well, just the elevation, 3 levels? Do you have more pictures on here of your cage?

@lissie is that a run area in the bottom as well, just the elevation, 3 levels? Do you have more pictures on here of your cage?

That's not my cage. It's the link I saved when I need to post a sample of the wood support.

These are my cages:
(broken link removed)

I had to stop for today. So far she hasn't explored the new area. She's just staying on the old side of the cage she's used to. I will look for my zip-ties I must have some around the house. I was thinking an L-shaped loft area for sleeping. This is as far as I got today. Off to cook everyone dinner. Have a great evening, thank you for the ideas. And thank you for the 9x9 grid information so she is safe. She's VERY SMALL, (like... maybe less than 1/4 the size of a full grown piggie) so it was so crucial for me to fix this today. Thank you! Good night!

Trouble with Design-a-Cubes (9x9 Grids from BBB)

As for them being flimsy, you have to make sure the grids are securely tucked into the connectors. Push as far as it goes into the slots, otherwise, they can sway a bit. I can see that the two grids - the first and second from the right are not completely pushed into the connector. The space between them is larger than the others.

I never had problems with my grids from BB&B, has the quality gone down in the past 3 years? I actually like my old grids better than the new ones I got from Kmart when I built new cages. The coating on the Kmart ones is already coming off in places.

The BBB ones seem"thinner" and the box that I purchased had bent grids and some of the connectors don't grip to the grids. My Kmart ones, purchased late March, are way better!

Yes all the pieces are as tight and pushed in as possible the grids are just heavily bent/warpped/bowing. Extremely disappointed in the quality! I plan on giving it a bad rating online and explaining why for other guinea pig owners to be aware.

So far ZERO use of the other 2x2 addition... lol but she's so tiny, as she grows she will love this thing! ;) So no need for a second level yet, she's just too young. Once she begins to explore more or desire to run around more we will expand.

Try taking out the divider. She might not know she can get to the other side.

I use pliers and zipties as I am building and do not have problems. I can understand not wanting to see the zipties. Also a base would add to the stability.

She discovered her whole new little play area today and I couldn't stop laughing watching her. One bed to the other bed to the other bed. She still loves her little "bedroom" corner we call it. I still think perched on my shoulder like a parrot is her favorite place in the house though. If next to me runs right up my body onto my shoulder and just passes out. She's such a joy :) She has me cavy hooked.

Thanks for all the detail! I have so many other grids I'll construct a second cage and use all these tips! :)

I bought grids from BB&B a year and half ago for my closet, and quality was not good at all. I still use them, connected with zip ties, but they are not great. I made cage from craigslist bought ones and they work very well, snap nicely together. I need more however, so ordered some from sears, I hope they are nice as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.