Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Please please help me..

helpmeporfavor

Cavy Slave
I have 5 Guinea pigs (let me explain..)
I had one to start (he’s now 4)
than we were at a swamp market &
Walked near this man with ducks,
He mentioned he had baby Guinea pigs to my children, we saw the Guinea pig & knew
1) it’s not a baby
2)it was not being taken care of..

We took her in an instant. As we were taking her he mentioned how fat she was… took us a minute to realize she was absolutely pregnant.

We took her home, a week later she had 3 babies & we’ve had 0 issues until 24 hours ago…

the babies are now 4 months old, and one of the babies fell over on his side & started convulsing.. there was nothing wrong with him to the naked eye.. he laid in his favorite blanket on my daughters lap for an hour as I frantically called every vet & animal hospital within a 50 mile radius before he passed..

I spoke to so many vets I lost count.. no one can see the others until Monday, but the one has this strange mark on his face & a his one foot is odd.. so I just went crazy digging into information & spoke with Los Angeles Guinea Pig Rescue that advised me if it was mange I could try these products.. so I did, but will they work? Does it look like mange ? There’s not a single mark on the one that passed away or the others, just this poor sweet one.. Loki. We have the babies in an extremely large open cage with their mom, but than my oldest, Spider Pig, in a separate cage.. but we traded cages once she had the babies so she use to live in that one…

The guy who owned the one from the swamp market (Cookie is her name), he had her in a wired bottom rabbit cage (she had bumble foot so bad we thought it was going to have to be removed) on a farm..

The stuff I ordered should be here in the morning.. I just don’t want any more to get worse/pass away.. my heart can’t take it.

Attachments

IMG_6758.jpeg IMG_6754.jpeg IMG_6763.png IMG_6764.png

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
It was good of you to take this guinea pig since you could tell she wasn’t being cared for.

Are any of the babies boys? If so, they should be separated from the girls or you will have more babies. At 4 months they are already sexually mature and are too old to be with the girls.

I’m not sure what the mark is on the face of your guinea pig. It almost looks like a scab from an injury, like a bite. If you have multiple pigs together make sure all the hideys have 2 exits so one can’t get cornered and hurt.

For fungus and bacterial skin issues, I think a shampoo would be more effective than wipes. Usually they recommend soaking for 10 minutes. I’ve had good luck with Miconizole shampoo. LA Guinea Pig Rescue has some good videos on treating fungus with shampoo. That may also help bumblefoot, since sometimes there is bacteria and fungus involved.

When I first adopted Millie, she had the start of bumblefoot and the vet prescribed Mupirocin ointment applied 3 times a day.

I’m not sure about Ivermectin paste. That was used in the past but I don’t think it’s recommended anymore. The humane society that I adopted from treated Millie with Selamectin which is Revolution. They said they treat all animals monthly as a precaution.

Here is a link to some good info on mites: https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html.

helpmeporfavor

Cavy Slave
It was good of you to take this guinea pig since you could tell she wasn’t being cared for.

Are any of the babies boys? If so, they should be separated from the girls or you will have more babies. At 4 months they are already sexually mature and are too old to be with the girls.

I’m not sure what the mark is on the face of your guinea pig. It almost looks like a scab from an injury, like a bite. If you have multiple pigs together make sure all the hideys have 2 exits so one can’t get cornered and hurt.

For fungus and bacterial skin issues, I think a shampoo would be more effective than wipes. Usually they recommend soaking for 10 minutes. I’ve had good luck with Miconizole shampoo. LA Guinea Pig Rescue has some good videos on treating fungus with shampoo. That may also help bumblefoot, since sometimes there is bacteria and fungus involved.

When I first adopted Millie, she had the start of bumblefoot and the vet prescribed Mupirocin ointment applied 3 times a day.

I’m not sure about Ivermectin paste. That was used in the past but I don’t think it’s recommended anymore. The humane society that I adopted from treated Millie with Selamectin which is Revolution. They said they treat all animals monthly as a precaution.

Here is a link to some good info on mites: https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html.
Thank you so much for replying I really appreciate it!!

The ivermectin I was told to use by a Guinea pig rescue center; they said even as a preventative?? I’ll wait and give it to them now until I talk to the vet tomorrow; I’m worried it was mites that killed the one baby.. when I described to the vet & the rescue center what happened they told me it was most likely the case? “Mange mites” that could’ve laid dormant — I will look for that shampoo today tho and try it if it’s not mites.. there was nothing on Oreo (one who passed) skin.. not a single blemish; he was always so soft and happy.

All the babies are male; the mom is really aggressive (not with us - with them) - we separated her after a month, but, she constantly gets out of the cage, still have no idea how she’s doing it. Our initial thought was that she bit Loki, because he always tries to put his nose out to her if she gets out & goes by his cage, but than, Oreo died and I noticed this Guinea pig (Loki)’s little feet suddenly looked raw from biting/itching.

The mom (cookie) her bumble foot is gone. A vet did help me with that & to confirm she was pregnant initially but he wasn’t comfortable doing anything else.

All the other Guinea pigs look ok; not missing hair or have any hard patches/feet looking raw. There’s only one other in his cage & I haven’t seen them itching anymore than normal.

Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest

Cavy Slave
I have 5 Guinea pigs (let me explain..)
I had one to start (he’s now 4)
than we were at a swamp market &
Walked near this man with ducks,
He mentioned he had baby Guinea pigs to my children, we saw the Guinea pig & knew
1) it’s not a baby
2)it was not being taken care of..

We took her in an instant. As we were taking her he mentioned how fat she was… took us a minute to realize she was absolutely pregnant.

We took her home, a week later she had 3 babies & we’ve had 0 issues until 24 hours ago…

the babies are now 4 months old, and one of the babies fell over on his side & started convulsing.. there was nothing wrong with him to the naked eye.. he laid in his favorite blanket on my daughters lap for an hour as I frantically called every vet & animal hospital within a 50 mile radius before he passed..

I spoke to so many vets I lost count.. no one can see the others until Monday, but the one has this strange mark on his face & a his one foot is odd.. so I just went crazy digging into information & spoke with Los Angeles Guinea Pig Rescue that advised me if it was mange I could try these products.. so I did, but will they work? Does it look like mange ? There’s not a single mark on the one that passed away or the others, just this poor sweet one.. Loki. We have the babies in an extremely large open cage with their mom, but than my oldest, Spider Pig, in a separate cage.. but we traded cages once she had the babies so she use to live in that one…

The guy who owned the one from the swamp market (Cookie is her name), he had her in a wired bottom rabbit cage (she had bumble foot so bad we thought it was going to have to be removed) on a farm..

The stuff I ordered should be here in the morning.. I just don’t want any more to get worse/pass away.. my heart can’t take it.
I am unfamiliar with that brand, so I cannot help you with that. But i do you know if you go on the LA guinea pig rescue website they sell mite/guinea pig lice product that kills and prevents them.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Is there any update on how your guinea pigs are doing?

You mentioned there were no marks on the skin of the one who passed. While it’s possible that mites can be severe enough to cause convulsions and death, usually the skin is very patchy with bare spots and sore areas. That doesn’t sound like what happened in your case.

I hope you were able to contact a vet and get some help.