Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Mickey is being obnoxious. Won't leave his brother alone.

Lights516

Cavy Gazer
Backstory: I grew up having one female guinea at a time. My daughter and I decided we needed guinea pigs to love on, so almost a year ago, we got two guinea pigs from a pet store (we tried to adopt, but there weren't any available less than an hour away). They are brothers and are now about a year old. At the time, we assumed Mickey was probably the runt because he was so small compared to Donnie. They've gotten along and done well despite a shift in power.

Current behavior: Over the last couple of months, Mickey has become huge. It's obvious that he's been eating most of the food. Mickey seems to be taking his assertion of dominance to the extreme. Mickey has also started chasing, mounting, and nipping at Donnie ALL THE TIME. Mickey will not leave Donnie alone for more than a few minutes. Donnie seems to be fine with Mickey being dominant. He runs away from Mickey and doesn't appear to challenge him at all. I don't know what to do with Mickey.

What I've tried: We've had two water bottles and two food bowls in the same "kitchen" area for a long time. When Mickey started excessively mounting and chasing, I separated the food - one bottle and one bowl on each end. It seemed to help for a couple of days. When Mickey started nipping at Donnie, I occasionally put a divider between them to give Donnie a few minutes peace when Mickey seemed to be at his worse (only an hour or two). When the divider came down, they were fine. Today, Mickey has been in rare form. He will NOT leave Donnie alone at all. I welcome any suggestions for what to do!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How large is the cage?

Lights516

Cavy Gazer
2x4 grid with narrow loft

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not big enough for two boars. They need more room, and a cage layout with some fleece forests so they can't always see each other.. Plus a narrow loft usually won't work with two boars.

Lights516

Cavy Gazer
I have some fleece forests on the way. What can I do in the meantime?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Take the loft off and use the grids to expand the cage. Move one water bottle and one food dish to the other end of the cage. Block the lines of sight so that one pig can't always see the other.

Lights516

Cavy Gazer
Update: The boys are getting along so much better! Thanks for your suggestions!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Glad to hear it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.