Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Just adopted two piggies, need advice on adjusting and health concerns

oreonfleece

Cavy Gazer
Hello! After my old piggie of 6 years passed on, I decided after couple of months to adopt two little ladies. One is 3 years old and the other is 1 years old and they’re bonded. I wanted to know advice on helping them adjust to the new house. I’ve been giving them alone time and just time to themselves, making sure to not handle them yet. Momo, the older one warmed up to me pretty well but I noticed when I was spot cleaning my hand brushed her side lightly on accident and she kicked away. I’m wondering if it’s anything I need to keep an eye on (bloat??) and see the vet for. She eats pretty well and Butters has started eating hay and more as well. I’m concerned as their poops are a bit smaller and wet, the previous owner did tell me she had fed them a couple pieces of lettuce on the car trip. Should I cut down on lettuce intake? I have stocked their 5x2 c&c cage with hay in hopes that their poops become more solid, please let me know any further action I should take, like a vet visit etc. I have critical care just in case they stop eating. Butters is light yellow with pink/red eyes, should I be mindful of light exposure as I heard albinism causes eyes to be a bit more sensitive? Any other advice on getting them more used to the new surrounding is very appreciated! Just very concerned about their health and comfort level.

Last edited:

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Just keep a general eye on her, however from the kicking alone I wouldn't be too worried.

More than likely she just doesn't like her sides touched. I had a sow like that, if you touched her sides or bottom she would kick at you and start grumbling, she was also the dominant sow and didn't like the other sows in the cage touching her sides or bottom either unless she initiated it. So for example if she was in a hidey and they came in behind her we all would hear about it, but if another sow was in the hidey and she wanted in too she would snuggle in there with the other sow, oddly enough if they entered from the side her head was at she didn't have a problem letting them in. Perhaps she just didn't like being snuck up on.

I have never noticed any issues with lighting with my red eyed guinea pigs. The lighting in my home has never bothered them and if I take them outside for a bit they are always in a shaded pen regardless of eye colour so that is not an issue either.

oreonfleece

Cavy Gazer
Thank you so much!! That makes sense, Momo is the dominant one out of the two. Thank you for the help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.