Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hi i am new. i just adopted 2 piggys recently and i wanted some advice on them

wasabee

Cavy Slave
hi i am new piggy owner and i wanted to ask something.
my piggys keep running from me. its only been 4 days but i am scared that they might be that way forever. i talk to them all the time and also try to hold them as much as possible. they come out of the hiding spots occasionally and run around and play ? is that a good sign ? also should i reduce their hiding spots? will that make them interact a bit more with us ? i really need some advice on them. would really appreciate it. 🙇‍♀️

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
What they’re doing is perfectly normal. They are prey animals with no defense mechanisms except to hide. So they will flinch, run, and try to wiggle away from you because they feel they are being chased and will be caught.

Places to hide help them feel safe. While they are hiding they are getting familiar with the sounds of their new home.

It will take time to gain their trust. Talk to them, use the same phrases and use their names each time you feed them veggies, and they will start to associate your voice and words with their favorite foods.

Handling is good but try not to chase them around to catch them. Gently corner them in a hidey and pick them up with a hand under and over them so the feel secure. Have veggies on hand so they calm down and eat. Most of the time they will calm down after they are held for a while, but some just never like lap time all that much.

My last 9ne would curl up and sleep on my lap for half an hour at a time. She loved to snuggle. My current one hates lap time. She whines, her eyes are big, she’s jumpy and she just wants to be in her pen. Then she turns around and looks for food.

wasabee

Cavy Slave
What they’re doing is perfectly normal. They are prey animals with no defense mechanisms except to hide. So they will flinch, run, and try to wiggle away from you because they feel they are being chased and will be caught.

Places to hide help them feel safe. While they are hiding they are getting familiar with the sounds of their new home.

It will take time to gain their trust. Talk to them, use the same phrases and use their names each time you feed them veggies, and they will start to associate your voice and words with their favorite foods.

Handling is good but try not to chase them around to catch them. Gently corner them in a hidey and pick them up with a hand under and over them so the feel secure. Have veggies on hand so they calm down and eat. Most of the time they will calm down after they are held for a while, but some just never like lap time all that much.

My last 9ne would curl up and sleep on my lap for half an hour at a time. She loved to snuggle. My current one hates lap time. She whines, her eyes are big, she’s jumpy and she just wants to be in her pen. Then she turns around and looks for food.
thankyou so much. really appreciate your words. but they don't really eat veggies from my hand. i have tried it so much and i feel so bad. is that normal too at first ?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
thankyou so much. really appreciate your words. but they don't really eat veggies from my hand. i have tried it so much and i feel so bad. is that normal too at first ?
Absolutely. I have a new fella, Jack, that I've had since mid October after my fuzzle Simon passed away. He's VERY skittish, but with constant attention and familiarization he has come a long way. He is just now, almost 7 months later, working up the nerve to climb halfway up onto my knee for his pepper in the morning.

Remember, they are prey animals. It's part of their DNA to be nervous, and easily frightened. They have little to no defense against predators. It will take a LOT of time to learn that you are not a threat, but stick with it. Trust is earned with these creatures, not given.

wasabee

Cavy Slave
Absolutely. I have a new fella, Jack, that I've had since mid October after my fuzzle Simon passed away. He's VERY skittish, but with constant attention and familiarization he has come a long way. He is just now, almost 7 months later, working up the nerve to climb halfway up onto my knee for his pepper in the morning.

Remember, they are prey animals. It's part of their DNA to be nervous, and easily frightened. They have little to no defense against predators. It will take a LOT of time to learn that you are not a threat, but stick with it. Trust is earned with these creatures, not given.
thankyou so much. i feel really relieved now. 🌷