Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Height of C&C cage

teresaintx

Cavy Slave
Hopefully someone with a covered C&C cage can tell me the height of the cage where the grids and connectors meet. As in from bottom of lowest connector to top of highest connector.

It is kind of important for something I'm thinking about so I would appreciate anyone's input.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
It depends on how high the stand is, 1 grid, 2 grids, no stand, etc.

teresaintx

Cavy Slave
No stand...just the coroplast and grids.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I don't have C&C cage anymore, but I have old photo of grid that I measured the connector. I hope you can calculate from this pic.

Each grid is 14", so with the height of the connector, I'd add about another inch.

What are you planning, and does it have to have the exact height? If you're building something, can you build a C&C cage first, then measure it before building the thing you're planning?

grids_connectors.jpg

teresaintx

Cavy Slave
I'm actually trying to figure out if an assembled covered C&C cage will fit underneath my bed.

Long story short I am not supposed to have my piggies in the apartment I'm living in at the moment. Periodically management comes in to do unit inspections and I'm trying to find a way to temporarily depig my apartment. All of the other logistics aside, my girls need a bigger cage than they are currently in but I have to be able to conceal it when needed. My thought was that if it is less than 15" high I could stash it under my bed temporarily.

I can't afford to go anywhere else at the moment but I don't want to give up my gitrls either.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you don't use connectors at all, it would be able to fit under the bed.
You can make it more solid by cable-tying grids together to make a cage floor. You'd be able to move it around.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Wait...so, they'll be under the bed? In complete darkness? How will you take them out or feed them?

lissie

Cavy Slave
I think she meant to put them there temporarily when the apartment gets inspection. They won't be living under the bed full time, right?

teresaintx

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry CavyTV, I didn't mean to freak you out. Lissie is correct in a way. My girls wouldn't actually be in the cage while it was under the bed. I intend to put them in the small pet store cage temporarily underneath a table and covered with a sheet.

It's killing me now that they are in a too small cage even though it is a larger one. I am going to be making a C&C cage but wanted to make sure I was going to be able to put it under the bed.

Thank you all for your input. I've come to rely on this forum so much.

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
You can always put your bed on risers too, but if your landlord comes in and majes noise, won't they squeak and squeal and give themselves away anyway?

LucyPenny

Cavy Slave
Also consider what shape c&c cage you're planning - you don't want it sticking out even if its short enough to fit under.

As mentioned above, the inspector still might find them. Is this a part of a large complex or an individual's property? Basically, is there room to negotiate allowing them (to avoid violating your lease). Are all types of pets banned?

teresaintx

Cavy Slave
BFGuru, Management has already been in the apartment once for an inspection. I have the girls cage on a folding table right now (it's not a C&C cage) so I just took them and put them under the folding table and put a sheet hanging over to hide them and then turned on my radio in there for cover noise. They did well and weren't discovered.

teresaintx

Cavy Slave
LucyPenny, this complex is not a large complex but the owner owns several properties. The only animals allowed here technically according to the lease are "service animals". We were allowed to keep our 12 year old cat because my daughter has anxiety issues and her doctor gave us a note that said she would suffer if made to give the cat up. I'm not sure that her doctor (she's in between doctors at the moment anyway) would do that for guinea pigs that we just got. This is new management at this property and they are apparently sticklers for details so I doubt that there is anyway we could keep them. We would be given the option of either giving them up or vacating the apartment. I've come to the conclusion though after having to give animals up before that I can move easier than I can go through the heartache of losing a loved pet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.