Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece Liners; just liner or going over the coro edging? Preference?

zoerayne

Cavy Slave
So as I'm getting ready to get my liners set up and sewed I was wondering what everyone prefers!

Do you prefer your fleece liner to just lay inside of the coroplast bottom? If you use "lap pads" like liners do they move? If they move how do you prevent it?

OR would you rather it had a sleeve for the sides? If you use "sleeves to keep them from moving is there a pattern you used? What would be the easiest way to do it?

Thanks in advance for help!!

miniver

Cavy Slave
You need an absorbant layer under the fleece, not just the cloro. Popular choices are wood pellets, uhaul pads, puppy pads, matress pads or towels. I use towels myself.

Lap pads don't move that much. If they are sitting on top of fleece they pretty much stay in place. The only time mine move is when they are in the direct path of zoomies, then everything goes flying!

There is no need to run the fleece up the sides unless you have a burrower or just like the look of it.

Hope that helps.

RedJr

Cavy Slave
I've been wondering the same thing.

I suppose the pros of liner pads are that they are easy to change out, but I am also concerned about them shifting around, as well as poops getting squished between the coro and the pad, as well as pigs chewing on the coro.

As for the full liners that go over the sides, I feel that they would solve the above issues, however, they don't leave any room for flexibility, say, if you want to expand or alter your cage.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I use regular fleece pads & they stay put perfectly as I don't have any burrowers. :) But I would advice you to make them slightly too long & wide as they continue to shrink over time with use, and my oldest liner does have the "poop squish" problem & can move slightly. I always ask the piggie-fleece-making-lady to make them bigger so they go up the sides a bit, but never all the way up.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I make mine about 2" wider and about 6" longer. My cages are 2x5s and the fleece area is just slightly larger than the bedding section where I use Fresh News for cats. When I clean cages, I put the fleece down first and overlap the fleece over the edge of the tray on the bedding side. The lip of the bedding tray is about 1.5" high. I add the bedding afterwards and it lays on top of the overlapped edge of the fleece so they don't burrow. I don't have any problems with the fleece shifting. My fleece pads have fleece on two sides with a single layer of uhaul pad in the middle. I've made them with two layers of padding in the middle but I found that they never got completely dry after washing them and drying them in the dryer so I continue to make them with one layer.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
I haven't made liners yet, but I'll need to make sleeves over the sides. I have one piggy that will do ANYTHING to get under the fleece, and another that will follow Hershey under.

zoerayne

Cavy Slave
You need an absorbant layer under the fleece, not just the cloro. Popular choices are wood pellets, uhaul pads, puppy pads, matress pads or towels. I use towels myself.

Lap pads don't move that much. If they are sitting on top of fleece they pretty much stay in place. The only time mine move is when they are in the direct path of zoomies, then everything goes flying!

There is no need to run the fleece up the sides unless you have a burrower or just like the look of it.

Hope that helps.

Than you so much! Extremely helpful! I know about the absorbant layer. I need to pick up the pads today. Right now the one i have does not burrow i am going to adopt two more and well see if they are during quarantine.

zoerayne

Cavy Slave
Ok so one uhaul pad will do just fine inbetween? Do you normally line dry them? Is that why yhey wont dry all the way?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Ok so one uhaul pad will do just fine inbetween? Do you normally line dry them? Is that why yhey wont dry all the way?

No, I put them in the dryer. When I first starting making fleece pads, I made some with towels, polyester batting, cotton batting and later uhaul pads in the middle. I used them a few times. Then, I decided to open them up to look at the lining after they were dried in the dryer to see if they were clean. What I found was, the towels and the double uhaul pads were still damp, although the single layer uhaul pad ones were dry and the fleece felt dry. I figured they probably weren't being washed completely, either, so I've stuck with a single layer of uhaul pad in the middle.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I've always had just the pads on the bottom of the cage, but some pigs try to burrow under, and also poops were always getting lodged against the sides and harder to sweep up. I think if I do it again I'll have the fleece go on over the coroplast sides.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I had homemade flippers and the pads down with fleece on top. No poos with with flippers ever went down. If they dug it up and some got down, no big deal either, sprat a paper towel with vingar and water and just wipe it up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.