Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Duval's pregnant

Duvalsmom

Cavy Slave
So my Lil piggy ended up getting pregnant it's the usual story of getting 2 pigs and one of them being the wrong sex. One was a year old rescue and one was from the pet store. Pet store mis managed the sex. I digress. Ok she is pregnant now and I've done all the reading I think I have a pretty good handle on it. My question is I'm moving my boar Jasper out today (probably should of already but they freak out when I separate them. They are free roamers most of the time until it's bed time. So is it ok to put his gage right next to hers so they are close to each other or will this upset her or him I. The long run? FYI I'd say she is about 50 days along. Need a Lil help. Long time pig owner 1st time pig grandma, So any other useful advice would be appreciated

Attachments

1659996809731.jpg

TinyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Hi
I'm welcome to be corrected by any more experienced members, but I'm pretty sure that it's okay, as long as you keep them separated, because I'm pretty sure that female pigs can get pregnant again right after giving birth. Make sure to "babyproof" the cage so the babies can't wiggle through the bars, if you haven't done that already.

Duvalsmom

Cavy Slave
Thanks a bunch

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The only issues with housing the boar right next to the girl are they could chew the bars to try and get to each other and damage their teeth, and if the cages don't have lids the male can climb the bars and get into her cage.

I know it sounds strange but this has happened more than a couple times. If neither cage currently has a lid it is best to add one to the females cage because a male can climb the bars and push up a lid on his cage but he can't lift a lid on her cage.

He needs to be removed from being with her ASAP, she will go into heat as soon as the babies are no longer in her and getting pregnant again is horrible for their health. This is true whether it is a successful birth of healthy babies or if she miscarries or has premature stillborns. So he needs to be away from her yesterday.

Duvalsmom

Cavy Slave
He is removed and the cages have lids they are both big living world cages. They are more free range pigs but since she is pregnant I have been keeping g he caged 24 7 an letting him Rome but when it's time for bed I was curious about the cages being next to each other. If I move them apart they both cry. It's very sad I feel bad for them. I think I'm going to try them side by side and if either starts chewing at the bars I'll try something else.i knew that had to be separated as soon as pups arrive but I didn't know it had to be done b4. He can't get her knocked up when she already is and they love each other,but I'm all about doing what's best for them so I'm always open to advice so thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're right that he can't get her pregnant while she's already pregnant, but if she delivers early or miscarries, she can get pregnant within minutes. If it happened at night or when you weren't home, you'd have no way of preventing it.

You can see what happens with the cages adjacent to each other. He'll probably be more bothered when she's in heat, but if he goes into a frenzy of bar chewing, you could always line the cage with plexiglass. Or, if you plan to keep the pups, you could any males in with him. However, a living world cage isn't large enough for two males, so you'd have to do some expansion.

Duvalsmom

Cavy Slave
Oh know I'm taking him to get fixed Monday Morning Wether or the babies are Here or not. I did not mean to be a piggy grandma, but I'm making the best of it

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll have to keep him separated for four weeks after neutering. GP sperm live a long time.

Duvalsmom

Cavy Slave
Thanks for that I did not know but it has to be done

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.