Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Candles? Yes? No?

• Thread starter Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest
  • Start date

Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest

Cavy Slave
I know candles are bad for the respiratory, but is it possible for me to make a homemade candle (with natural smells)?

Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest

Cavy Slave
And are their guinea pig safe, candles? I’m just wondering the difference of actual essential oils, and literally crushing up a strawberry to make it smell like strawberries in the room lol…

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any sort of smoke, regardless of the source is danger for your piggies respiratory system. The scents just make it that much more of an irritant. I have gone so far as to wash my guinea pigs fleece in detergent that has no harmful scents or chemicals, then they are rinsed in vinegar and there are no air fresheners of any sort in my house. I'd rather not take the chance.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Anything that burns releases pollutants into the air. Burning oils, whether essential or not, are especially problematic for the respiratory system. Medical opinion seems to be split on whether the chemicals released from burning candles are harmful to humans or not, but pigs are tiny, and it doesn't take much of anything to upset their bodily systems.

IMO, it's absolutely not worth it.