Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Can I let my female and male cavy live together?

Mia!Cavyuuuus

Cavy Gazer
I got a male and a female cavy, the female is older than the male. The male is not old enough to breed (at least I think) and two cages are so expensive. So before I buy one big cage, can they live together? ( without endless baby’s) I don’t want her to go through that.

CuddlyPiggies!!

Cavy Slave
I got a male and a female cavy, the female is older than the male. The male is not old enough to breed (at least I think) and two cages are so expensive. So before I buy one big cage, can they live together? ( without endless baby’s) I don’t want her to go through that.
Hi! Is the male neutered? If so, you possibly bond them!

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
Get two cages. Males can be fertile when they are only 3 WEEKS old.

Read up on neutering him and see if that is an option. Only when one or the other is desexed are they safe to live together.

If you get cages side by side make sure there is at least a lid on the female’s cage. Males can be very persistant when wanting to mate. They can push lids up and escape their cage, but will not be able to lift a lid on the female’s cage

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please do NOT put your pigs together, and if you already have, please separate them. Pregnancy and delivery are very hard on guinea pig sows and pups, and the death rate for both is very high. Guinea pigs also have several genetic conditions that cause lifelong pain and disabilities, as well as premature death.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.