Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Anyone ever hear of a pig not liking lettuce?

SandyPig

Cavy Slave
We have a rescue pig who is new to our family. She doesn't seem to like lettuce! She sniffs it, might take a nibble, but then walks away. Never had a pig like this before.

When we were bringing her home, the rescue put a piece of lettuce in the box for her trip. When we got home, she hadn't eaten it, which surprised me. I thought she must have been nervous. But she still doesn't really eat lettuce. We've tried romaine and green leaf. I got her some parsley, and she gobbled that up! But I don't think parsley is ok in large amounts/every day, right?

She does eat peppers and cucumber peels. What else is good in large amounts besides lettuce?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes. When Simon first came home and was given evening vegetables with Leo, he wouldn't eat the lettuce. He would pick through for the good stuff for about 5-10 minutes, and then go and eat hay.

Fast forward to today, and Simon eats just about everything that's put in front of him. He's an absolute FIEND for orange segment. He wouldn't eat much in the way of a bell pepper slice either, but now he eats it all.

Parsley is definitely not good in larger, or frequent amounts. Radicchio is another good daily choice and I have discovered that both boys love radicchio as well. I would limit the parsley to a sprig or two a couple times a week. I've NEVER met a pig who didn't love parsley.

Give her time, and whatever veggies your other pig gets offer them to her as well. More often than not the new pig will wonder what they missing when they see their cagemate eating it and give it a shot.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I have a boar pair that doesn't like foods that my other boar pair will eat. I wouldn't worry about it. They all have their likes/dislikes!

ChewChew

Cavy Slave
My girl doesn't eat anything besides grass hay. I've tried feeding her lettuce, carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, apples, watermelons, you name it. But she does chew anything non-veggie and non-fruit, like plastics, woods, and metals. She's doing well, BTW:ROFLMAO:

Mizz P

Cavy Slave
My guy won't eat any fruit and very few vegetables and minimal pellets. I supplement with Oxbow multi-vitamins and Oxbow Vitamin C tabs which he thinks are treats. He's doing fine, but I feel like a Mom with a child who won't eat anything but PB&J! Ha!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.