Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables No replies on fiddle heads (fern shoots)

guineapiggymom

Cavy Slave
I posted a thread on fiddle heads (fern shoots) on the 14th of April and received no replies. I am assuming that means they are good to give to guinea pigs. Please reply if they aren't.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If I were you, I'd assume they were NOT safe to feed until I found out otherwise. Most people are unfamiliar with fiddlehead ferns, and as they are priced as if they're made out of gold the few days a year we have them in our stores, I'm not about to feed one to a pig. I have no idea whether pigs can eat them or not.

Lindsayruthann

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, since at least 1994, fiddleheads have been linked to a number of food-borne illnesses in both the US and Canada. It is still unclear what the cause of the illness is, whether a toxin, bacteria or virus – but what is known is that, like bracken ferns, ostrich fern fiddleheads should never be eaten raw or even lightly sautéed. (Oops! That’s how I’ve always cooked them in the past.) They also need to be washed really, really well prior to cooking. Public health officials (broken link removed) boiling the veggie for 10-15 minutes, or steaming for at least 10 minutes.
Via (broken link removed)

I've never heard of them before, but from reading this article is sounds like even people shouldn't be eating them. I wouldn't feed them to any animal.

guineapiggymom

Cavy Slave
bpatters-I haven't gotten any yet but even if I did I wouldn't give them to him until I got the go ahead.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.