Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing What chew toys does your guinea pigs like?!

4everlovepigs

Cavy Slave
This is my first thread I hope I'm doing this right. Anyways I was wondering what your guinea pigs favorite chew toys are because mine seem to hate every chew toy I give them. I've tried those little logs and a Wooden lady bug and the thing where you slide chew toys on to a rod with the bell on the end. I have gave them edible houses. they don't seem to like any of them. So what are your guinea pigs favorite chew toys?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
By edible houses, do you mean a wooden house, or one of those houses that is literally designed to be eaten? Because the edible ones are very unhealthy and should be removed immediately if that's what you've given your piggies.

Honestly, some pigs just aren't chewers. They don't *need* to chew things, because hay keeps their teeth ground down.

4everlovepigs

Cavy Slave
It's the wooden kind. I know they might not be the kind that like to chew but what kind of chews or toys do you give your guinea pigs?:)

Levenn

Cavy Slave
toilet paper rolls are a big hit with my pigs! Lol

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
my pigs love anything that is a wooden cube but it hasto be the cube or they don't touch it so they really like these little alphabet chews
(broken link removed)
Hope that helps

4everlovepigs

Cavy Slave
The alphabet block look cool I'll give them a try!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Mine actually didn't get in to chewing until I'd had them for about 2 months, so depending on how long you've had yours, they may chew when they've settled in :)

Mine like to chew their wooden house, and their fiddlesticks bridge. I find that unless it's an 'interactive' object, mine won't chew it. I did get them a tug-of-war type rope, two wooden blocks connected by rope, but it wasn't interactive so they didn't bother. When I put their fiddlesticks bridge in, and they could go over and under and the like, they got even more curious and chewed it!

pineapplepigs

Cavy Slave
It's the wooden kind. I know they might not be the kind that like to chew but what kind of chews or toys do you give your guinea pigs?:)

they also have edible houses that arent made out of wood but i dont know if there safe

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
they also have edible houses that arent made out of wood but i dont know if there safe
Not the Snak Shak type as they contain a lot of sugar which is very bad for pigs. I get the kind made from compressed hay, which my girls love. They also enjoy the willow kind, but you have to watch for sharp corners on those. I stuff hay into toilet paper rolls, but it's very rare them for them to chew the actual roll, although I know some pigs love that. Other than that, they adore chewing anything they're NOT supposed to, LOL.

pineapplepigs

Cavy Slave
Not the Snak Shak type as they contain a lot of sugar which is very bad for pigs. I get the kind made from compressed hay, which my girls love. They also enjoy the willow kind, but you have to watch for sharp corners on those. I stuff hay into toilet paper rolls, but it's very rare them for them to chew the actual roll, although I know some pigs love that. Other than that, they adore chewing anything they're NOT supposed to, LOL.

thank you for telling me that i almost bought one the other day along this the tunnel version my piggies also like to chew everything they are not supposed to along with your piggies lol

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ferb likes his woven willow tunnel (he chewed a window out, lol), paper towel rolls cut in half (he does chew the cardboard and throws it around his cage), these wooden chews shaped like fruits and veggies I bought on amazon.com, and any kind of fruitwood stick.

StarTaleMaddnes

Cavy Slave
I have a little wooden chew toy that they pretty much ignore, but I've found the thing that keeps them most entertained is a crumpled up piece of brown packing paper, or newsprint. They love it! The girls run around and push it, or try to run under it, or just sit in around nibbling on it.

micjmart

Cavy Slave
My boys enjoy the little pieces of willow branches and I also have a compressed hay thing shaped like a stick that they'll sometimes chew on. Mostly though they prefer to chew on hay. They do not like the colored wood blocks that the store recommended, there's like one chew spot but it's almost totally untouched.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
Willow huts and willow tunnels. That is about all they will chew on..(I have picky pigs..)
lol

Holly M Landry
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
I'm jealous of your playful piggies! I'm hoping when I get another, mine will become more playful.

CavyPhoenix

Cavy Slave
I have found that anything with an interesting texture helps, as well as cardboard. My pigs LOVE cardboard. Toilet paper rolls, and shoe boxes are awesome for them. And clean sanitized pinecones!

Holly M Landry
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

CavyPhoenix

Cavy Slave
A little note on pine cones, make sure they are fully seeded (open) and dried, or you end up with very sticky and hard to clean piggies.

Also, if you buy them, assure they aren't varnished! I wouldn't ever buy any that weren't marked for pets. A lot of them sold for crafts or decor are varnished, and that's bad for our babies!

I agree! If you are going to get a pine cone from the store, make sure its a pet store and that they have not put anything like peanut butter or anything that may harm them to garnish it and make it a "tasty" treat. I prefer to go out in the spring and find a couple of my own pine cones that are fully open and devoid of sap. Then follow the steps on this website to sanitize them: https://voices.yahoo.com/how-prepare-pinecones-guinea-pig-5714006.html
I hope this helps!

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Paper lunch sacks. Filled with hay or empty. I get a stack of em at the dollar store and toss one in when they look bored.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.