Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adding 2nd Level

amyjane

Cavy Slave
I'd like to add a second level to my piggy's cage, however, I have a few problems. First of all, he doesn't like ramps. My boyfriend has a two level cage that Pippin has visited, but he refuses to use the upper deck. Has anyone had any luck with making a more enclosed ramp with scared pigs? The boyfriend's cage ramp doesn't have sides, so does anyone think that a bent cube would be better? Also, the way his cage is set up could pose a problem for the upper deck. He loves to chew on choroplast, so his cage consists of a choroplast box (just like normal), but the the grids are cable-tied together and set inside the perimeter of the choroplast box. The grids come out and double as a play pen (for easy cleaning). I suppose what I'm trying to say is that the upper deck needs to be freestanding. Does anyone have any suggestions or perhaps you've created something similiar??

(The main purpose of this is because I want a bigger cage and only have the room to go UP.)

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Hi, I was going to make a loft on my c&c cage but Cody(my piggy) doesn't like ramps either! I had him in a cage before that had two levels and he would go up but he was scared to come back down. So I had to buy him a new cage.(because without him going up and down there was no room for him) But now I have nade him a c&c cage!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
You could try making a shelf half way up a cube on the first level, and build the second level as normal just leaving the cube above the shelf out. Then all you need to do is teach your pig how to jump up and down the shelves. He will be wobbly and unsure at first, but after a few hours or days he will learn to jump up and down the shelves.
Or, if you want to try a ramp again, you could try bending a couple of grids and tying them together to make a half enclosed ramp.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
amyjane said:
First of all, he doesn't like ramps. My boyfriend has a two level cage that Pippin has visited, but he refuses to use the upper deck.

Are you sure he doesn't like ramps? Maybe he didn't like the smell of the cage. Was there another piggy in it at the time? I would definitely try a bent grid, so he feels more secure going up and down. You can also get the big drainage pipes at a garden supply store and attach it with cable ties to the upper deck. It's a complete circle, so he couldn't fall out, and they're ridged, so he has something to grip his feet on when he walks up.

amyjane

Cavy Slave
Percy's Mom said:
Are you sure he doesn't like ramps? Maybe he didn't like the smell of the cage. Was there another piggy in it at the time? I would definitely try a bent grid, so he feels more secure going up and down. You can also get the big drainage pipes at a garden supply store and attach it with cable ties to the upper deck. It's a complete circle, so he couldn't fall out, and they're ridged, so he has something to grip his feet on when he walks up.

I've made him a miniramp and deck for his own cage and he didn't like that either. I bought some more grids this weekend with the intention of making an upper deck. Didn't end up using it, he was too afraid of it. They did work well for making a bigger play area on the floor, though (have to cable tie them together and block off my furniture...its just too tempting!). I guess he's just the sort of pig that doesn't like heights.

JennG

Cavy Slave
You could always put his food and hay on the 2nd level. That may motivate him to move up there. Plus its good exercise for him. You could "lead" him to the food by stringing his veggies all the way to the food area.

If you add a ramp, maybe make sure he feels secure by giving it a railing. I have a girl who is blind, so I was extra careful to make sure she wouldn't fall off. The ramp and bridge are made of bent grids.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.