Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Lump in throat

EcthalionMCB

Cavy Slave
I will be taking two of my guinea pigs, Delilah and Daphne to the vet tomorrow do to swollen throats. it started out with just Delilah with a swollen throat, and at the time swollen cheek, so I took her to the local vet. he gave her something called SMZ Oral Suspension, which cleared up the swollen cheek but didn't touch the swollen throat. he said she had non-contagious strep throat. I will be going to a different vet for a second opinion seeing as how now I have got two girls with swollen throats. they do live together, along with an older female and a neutered boar. neither of the older two have shown any signs of sickness or lumps at this time. I have quarantined the four of them from the rest of the household's herds (all total we have 13 pigs living here, in 5 different cages). I have removed all wooden chew toys from the cage for now just in case its something like splinters getting in they're throats. they currently are getting second cut orchard grass from the local feed store and the guinea pig pellets from KMS Hayloft. they live on fleece liners.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If this is not an exotic vet, then save your time and money and find one somewhere. It's a good possibility that it's cervical lymphadenitis, which is contagious, and the lumps can rupture, making it much more contagious as well as giving you one or more open wounds to deal with.

Dog-and-cat vets have very little experience with guinea pigs, and this needs someone who knows what they're doing.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It doesn't sound as this vet knows guinea pigs very well. I haven't heard of a pig having strep throat before. When you say swollen throat, I am assuming you are talking about a lump.

It would be a good idea to have the lumps cultured to find out exactly what bacteria is present.

EcthalionMCB

Cavy Slave
I'm taking them to the small animal vet in the next town over in about 45 minutes. he deals with exotics a lot more then the local vet that I'd initially taken them to. only reason I took Delilah to the local vet to begin with was that the exotics vet didn't have any openings and she couldn't eat do to a big soar on her lips/cheek. that cleared up with the SMZ oral suspension. but the throat didn't clear up. will keep you posted on what the exotics vet says.

EcthalionMCB

Cavy Slave
back from the vet. he says that it is a bacteria related to strep, but that it isn't strep. he will be doing surgery to remove the lump on Daphne's throat on Wednesday. the second pig Delilah has pretty much recovered on her own. whatever it was that she had is now so small that he could barely find it in her throat.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I imagine that he'll have her on antibiotics after he removes the lump.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.