Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Sweet potato.and its skin

titoharry

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone :) I want to know if guinea pig can eat sweet potato and its skin?? I am from EGYPT <3 and I asked the seller about the clover but it wasn't available and he said that i can feed my piggy sweet potato skin, so is he true?? and how much can i feed it daily?? sweet potato raw or cooked??? Thanks :) :D

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sweet potato should be fed in extreme moderation, it's extremely high in Oxalates and sugars.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can feed it raw, in small amounts. My two, however, don't like it. It's one of the few things I've given them that they won't eat.

titoharry

Cavy Slave
thank you all for helping me :) what about the skin of the sweet potato?!! the seller told me that i can feed my piggy with it -skin- daily like the clover

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't feed it. It's not radically different than the potato.

titoharry

Cavy Slave
can my piggy eat Hay beans and Drees(driss)?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know what either of those things are. Can you find a picture of them? And a correct spelling for drees/driss?

Your pig needs a long strand grass hay all the time -- it should never be without it. That's what keeps the teeth ground down and their intestines moving. They need a source of vitamin C, whether it's pellets or vegetables. Red or green leaf lettuce, bell peppers (capsicum) and tomatoes are good sources of that. If they're young, they need extra calcium, which they can get from pellets, vegetables, or some alfalfa added to their regular hay.

That's really all they need, although you can feed other things. What kind of green vegetables can you get?

titoharry

Cavy Slave
How much should i buy(hay) for my piggy?? Hay bean is like a green hay

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not a grass hay, and is likely too high in calcium for guinea pigs. You need a grass hay, like timothy, meadow grass, orchard grass, blue grass, or brome. Horse stables will probably have the right kind of hay.

titoharry

Cavy Slave
thank you for helping me :)

titoharry

Cavy Slave
It's not a grass hay, and is likely too high in calcium for guinea pigs. You need a grass hay, like timothy, meadow grass, orchard grass, blue grass, or brome. Horse stables will probably have the right kind of hay.

Thank you for helping me :)

titoharry

Cavy Slave
No worries about feeding sweet potato.....I doubt that they will eat more than a few bites. My cavies will only eat baked sweet potato and I give them a small chunk and let them decide if they prefer flesh or peel. Of course, as with any vegetable, scrub the potato before cooking.

My boy has what we call a "sweet tooth"......meaning that he likes many things that are sweet. However, he apparently just wants to taste it because it smells good. He rarely will eat more than a couple of bites. You don't have to be rigid and never give your piggy some items. Just use good judgment and don't feed them very often.

For instance, Chester loves dried cranberries.....which are loaded with fruit sugar and which neither of us needs to be consuming on a regular basis. But, he won't eat more than two of them, and often just one. He's a smart boy. lol

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH your piggy is smart :) ;) Mine don't like green beans :( lol xD thank you alot, do you know if they eat raw rice?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

titoharry

Cavy Slave

titoharry

Cavy Slave
Plz there is another question :) Can i feed them blackberries leaves and how much per day??? there is a blackberries tree infront of our house :D ... Can i feed them mint and how much per day???

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, they can't have blackberry leaves, and I also wouldn't give mint.

[MENTION=29331]titoharry[/MENTION], guinea pigs have pretty delicate digestive systems. They'll do much better if you'll settle on a steady diet of leafy lettuce greens, capsicum (bell peppers), and a few other veggies from the list that I sent you rather than your scouring your area for every growing plant as a possible food source.

titoharry

Cavy Slave
@bpatters thanks but i found this in many sites ( - Blackberry leaves (Rubus plicatus) - pick young & tender leaves and shoots ) that it is good not bad so.....

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@bpatters thanks but i found this in many sites ( - Blackberry leaves (Rubus plicatus) - pick young & tender leaves and shoots ) that it is good not bad so.....

I wouldn't trust every thing you read from websites. Most of the time they misinform piggy owners. I agree with [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]. I trust this forum with all of my piggy questions. If I were you, I'd do the same before your pig gets ill from something it has eaten.

titoharry

Cavy Slave
Thank you all... last question plz..i read on this site that i can feed piggy sweet potato leaves so i want to know the leaves means the green leaves or the skin of the sweet potato... :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.