Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

When and how to switch pellets?

My 2 guinea pigs are about 5 months old and since I found out (2 months ago) they should be on alfalfa based pellets I've been feeding them Oxbow young guinea pig pellets. I give them an unlimited amount.

When should I switch to adult pellets? I thought that they were an adult when they were a year old but I've also read that they should not have these pellets after 6 months.

The Oxbow pellets aren't available locally so I have to order them online. I'm going to use burgess pellets which I can purchase in most places. How do I switch? Do I go this gradually or one day just start giving them the 1/8 cup if their new pellets. How will they cope with changing from unlimited to limited pellets?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    41 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Re: When and how to switch pellets?

Looking forward to an educated answer to this ... My babies are just 3 months old.

Thanks
    Thanks
    3,740 Rec'd/2,845 Posts
    Mentioned
    1058 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1572 Post(s)

They'll cope just fine when you change them -- they'll just eat more hay and veggies. Continue free feeding until they're six months old, then restrict to 1/8 cup each. You can continue to feed the old pellets until they're gone (unless that going to be months ahead), and switch them cold turkey to the new pellets.

4. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

QusieQ (08-19-13)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Thanks Bpatters I know I can count on you to keep me right. They currently have Timothy hay (unlimited), various different lettuce and bell pepper everyday then I give them a selection of other veggies depending on what's available. I'm hoping that this is ok to give them all the nutrition they need.

User Tag List