Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick White discharge from my guinea pig's private! I think this is serious!

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
Please help! I started noticing this a little while ago, it wasn't very much at first. and then it seemed to go away, and i kept checking her everyday to make sure it wasn't there anymore. but it came back. Is it an infection? It's very serious isn't it? what can i do to help her? I do not have a guinea pig vet that is close to me, but i have a vet that is willing to help, but i need to know what she needs. there is a little bit of crust forming consistently on the corner of one eye, and she seems to be a little bloated (which is NOT normal for her) please tell me, what does she need to help her get better???

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old is your pig?

Describe the discharge. Is it mucus? Grainy? Does it have an odor? Does it leave any deposits on her bedding, or it's all on her? A picture would be helpful.

Does she have any hair loss?

The eye problem could be a blocked tear duct or dried cleaning fluid. I'd get some sterile pads and eye wash (NOT contact lens solution) and gently wipe the corner of her eye. If it gets worse, she'll need to see a vet.

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
its more mucusy, and milky. yes can see the discharge after she goes pee, it seems to come after that. and it stays there, i have been cleaning her off. i will get you a picture as soon as i see more on her again. shes about 6-7 months old, and she had her baby 6 weeks ago. i didnt notice it after she had the baby though. yes, i notice the goo has an oder. im not quite sure how to describe it, it smells bad and ismrather stromg (close range of course, you cant smell it far away) do you know what it might be? any suggestions? should i be worried? is there something natural i can do to help her right now? thank you

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
oh, once, she peed on the newpaper, and in the pee, it was a little milky. and that smelled REALLY strong

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sows do have a mucus plug in their vaginas that is lost just before they come in heat. Is there any possibility that's what this is? Does it appear just every couple of weeks?

I think, however, since it seems to be ongoing and has an odor, that she probably has an infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics. You really need a vet that knows something about exotics, so if you'll post the name of the city you're closest to, we'll see if we can help you find a vet.

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
the closest vet is an hour and a half away, i dont know if i can take her there. but im going to try. there is a vet right near me though that would give us the antibiotics if we know what we need. is there any way to find out?

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
if anybody has suggestions, please tell me, i want to take as best care of her as i can right now

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The only way might be if your vet would consult with an exotic vet and find out what needs to be done to diagnose it.

But you didn't answer my question about how often it happens?

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
constantly. every day now for the past few days. this happened a couple weeks ago, then went away. i shouldnt have ignored it....we have been giving her some natural things to help, it went away but then it came back. its consistent.

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
im positive its not mucus plug. thats actually what we thought it was at first. but now we know thats not true. in fact, i havent seen her have any sort of period since i have had her. she was pregnant, had the baby, and i still havent seen her have a normal cycle. but i have seen my other girl, Sugar have a cycle since she had her babies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, guinea pigs don't usually have any kind of discharge during their cycles, so I don't know how you'd know a normal cycle in a guinea pig unless you get some hormonal drama going on.

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
after her babies? yeah, i call that hormonal drama, lol. she has a little bit of blood during her cycle. just a little bit, not much. but i have seen it.

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
is it good to give her vitamin c right now? i think thats supposed to help her little immune system.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're feeding her an adequate number of veggies, including bell peppers, she doesn't need the vitamin C. But a little bit extra won't hurt her if it makes you feel better, just don't overdo it.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs do not bleed during their heat cycle, any bleeding is abnormal - also note guinea pigs lack the enzyme most animals have to break down puss therefore their puss has a cottage cheese consistency. I have yet to meet a guinea pig who's fresh urine did not smell strong (the scent dies down as it cools off), I have noticed it is worse when they are on heat or if they have a strong odor to their scent marks.

One of my girls has a lot of discharge from her nether regions at first I was concerned but I have been monitoring her for months and she is perfectly healthy in every way aside from the discharge so I have decided unless further symptoms display vet treatment is not necessary. Her discharge is a creamy colored slime that smells of her scent marks combined with urine (perhaps it mixes with a little urine to give the slight yellow tinge?).

Often I can tell she is on heat because she purrs and wiggles her butt when I pet her on the middle of her back and she also mounts her cage mate. However her very shy cage-mate NEVER displays any signs of being on heat and I can only tell because my boys who live under them get all riled up as they seem to fancy her scent.

I would still recommend you take them to a good guinea pig vet to get an overall health check, and also so you know somewhere you can take them in case of emergency.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.