Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? How do I know if I have a roan or dalmation guinea pig

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
I want to breed my guinea pig with another guinea pig but I've seen some posts about not breeding roan and dalmation guinea pigs. Can anyone tell me how to tell if I have a roan or dalmation guinea pig?

I'm not breeding my guinea pig for a year but I'd like to get the facts before I do. My guinea pig is two months old. He is white, black, and brown. That's about it for a description of him.

This forum is very anti-breeding. It seems you're already aware of lethal white guinea pigs since you know breeding roans/roans and roans/dalmations is bad.
When you breed any kind of guinea pig there's a 20% chance that the sow could die from pregnancy or after birth complications.
There are lots of guinea pigs in shelters and rescues that need good homes. By breeding them you're just adding to the problem of over-population and are possibly taking away a shelter/rescue pigs' chance at getting adopted.

www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm
Please read this article on why not to breed.
As for your original question, any pig with white on them could be carrying the roan gene.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.