Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Introducing female guineapigs

Jesse

Cavy Slave
One of my guinea pigs sisters has recently died leaving her on her own. I know guinea pigs can get bored and lonely so i was wandering if its a good idea to get another guinea pig. I was thinking of a baby/younger female, i Wouldnt want to neuter a male because of the risks. Do you think a younger female is a good idea, or is it too soon to introduce another guinea pig.
FiFi is around a year old and her and her sister never fought or argued.
Also how long do they have to be seperated before i put them together?
Thank you :) xx

Jj_and_piggies

Cavy Slave
Hello, I think it will be okay to put the baby guinea pig in. Keep them separated for two-three weeks, make sure you check the new pigs hair often to see if there is any parasites. You would want to separate them if they are biting and if there is blood but have two hidies just incase they fight.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
i'm sorry to hear that your piggy passed :( but it would be good to introduce a new piggy so Fifi won't be lonely for long! you need a 3 week quarantine before you introduce them :) good luck finding a new piggy and i hope they get along well!

Jj_and_piggies

Cavy Slave
You would want to introduce them in a room or on a cushion so just somewhere other than there cage. You would need to feed the baby alfalfa hay based pellets so feed them separately.

Jesse

Cavy Slave
can i quarantine them by putting grids in the middle of the cage making two sections, or do they have to be completely seperated?

NormaS

Cavy Slave
Sorry about your loss. They have to be completely separated as in different rooms, so that if the new pig has an URI your current pig will not get it.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your pig.
Usually, introductions do better when the pigs have an age difference, so a younger pig would do just fine.
As for quarantine, both pigs will have to be in separate rooms and you will have to wash your hands before touching each pig. As for introductions, I suggest reading about the guinea pig social life (Guinea Pigs Social Life).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.