Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating my guinea pig isn't drinking/eating

Casijane

Cavy Slave
my 2year old female guinea pig isn't eating or drinking - her water bottle (200ml) normally lasts 24hours but she isn't drinking any of it. i have put down a bowl for her and her chin is wet but i don't know if she is drinking. She is also not eating well - she first stoped eating her pellets and squeaking for green veg but now it seems she is only nibbling on that. I have made "mash" out of some foods - pellts, bread, lettuce - and she looked interested and seemed to be enjoying it but it only lasted 5 minutes. She is stilling peeing and pooping a little bit. she has also started curling up in a ball in the back corner of the cage.
I am very worried.
I have read the other posts and they all mention going to a vet but i live in a small town in south africa and can't find anyone who works with guinea pigs nearby.
I know its not the best idea but can someone please suggest possible treatments that i could try - i hate the idea of "experimenting" but i can't just let her die. I am a doctor so i can get hold of medicine but i don't know what would be safe and how much to give...
Alot of posts mention looking at the molars and trimming them - any chance an unqualified person would be able to do anything about that?
Please help!

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Some people have used canned pumpkin when they don't have Critical Care Feeding Formula. I have soaked pellets with water and baby food, peas/carrots,squash and syringe fed that way. I also ground the pellets up before adding to the water/veggie mix. So sorry. Thoughts with you. She needs water syringe fed. She needs frequent feedings.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
"Guinea Lynx" is full of medical advice. Please check this site.

pikameg

Cavy Slave
I don't think it's a good idea to give your piggie bread, even if it's in a paste. Try and get a hold of some Critical Care. If not, try pumpkin puree. My vet had me syringe baby food veggies (like carrots and sweet potato).

Are there any other symptoms? Watery eyes, runny nose, wheezing when breathing?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No bread.

If she's pooping, you can hand feed, force feed her if necessary. If she's not pooping, you don't want to do that because she may have a blockage.

Either way, not eating is a medical emergency. They're built to have food continually moving through their systems, and the saying that "a guinea pig that's not eating is a guinea pig that's dying" has some truth in it.

Take a look over at https://www.guinealynx.info -- there's a ton of medical information about guinea pigs over there. With your background in medicine, you should be able to adapt some of the protocols for use where you are.

You also could PM the user GizzyandMe on this forum and ask about vets that you might consult with by phone. She's in SA, and has had guinea pigs for a number of years.

Good luck with your pig, and let us know how you come out.

Casijane

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the advice.
She hasn't pooped during the night so i've just been syringing water.
I gave her some metaclop so i hope that may help.
I mashed up some of the other suggested veg for her too.
She doesn't have any other symptoms - her stomache is tender but nothing else.
When watching her it looks like she is battling to eat/swallow.
Sadly i have to work today but i will come home in my lunch break to see wht else i can do for her

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the advice.
She hasn't pooped during the night so i've just been syringing water.
I gave her some metaclop so i hope that may help.
I mashed up some of the other suggested veg for her too.
She doesn't have any other symptoms - her stomache is tender but nothing else.
When watching her it looks like she is battling to eat/swallow.
Sadly i have to work today but i will come home in my lunch break to see wht else i can do for her

I know there are a few members of this forum who are from SA, maybe you could message them asking. Because this pig definitely needs to see a vet. I understand it must be very hard to find one and you seem like you are trying your best. Please keep us updated.

Casijane

Cavy Slave
I'm home for lunch ahd she still looks like she is doing ok but the food hasn't been eaten however she has pooped a little. She is now refusing the syringe - pulls and moves away when i try to give her something.

Casijane

Cavy Slave
Hi all. sorry for no news I have had no internet. Sadly Princess died yesterday.
I found a vet an hour away and it was her teeth and he did trim them but he said she also had an infection and so we gave her antibiotics but she did not get better.
Vet says the teeth problems was because i did not feed her hay - had guinea pigs all my life and hay is one of the suggested foods but i've never been able to find any to buy (even the vet i went to that said she needs hay doesn't sell it) and none of my previous pigs had any problems with their teeth.
Thank you for the help and advice given.

Oh and by the way those of you who decided to be nasty - if you don't have helpful advice just stay out of it. I'm not an idiot - i carried on syringe feeding her - it was just sad that she was not interested in the food anymore (before she wanted feeding and even sucked on the syringe)

19piggies

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost your girl :(
When you mentioned a wet chin, I immediately thought it was her teeth as a piggy dribbles due to malocclusion but I've only just logged in as I'm in the UK and our time difference is so vast.
Run free little Princess x

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.