Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Can I use chicken wire instead of cubes to make a c&c cage or is it dangerous?

leahhh_jenkins

Cavy Slave
I haven't been able to find any grids and we have chicken wire at home which i am allowed to use but i just have to see whether its good for my bunny or not! Would dowel poles with chicken wire attached to them work as a good substitute?? I have a local place which has a form of coroplast so I have that covered! :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Re: Can I use chicken wire instead of cubes to make a c&c cage or is it dangerous?

If you use chicken wires, make sure they are not sharp. It might be better to find wires that are designed for pets.

leahhh_jenkins

Cavy Slave
Re: Can I use chicken wire instead of cubes to make a c&c cage or is it dangerous?

ok i will see but if I can't find any would it be ok if i folded the edges underneath the cage?

lissie

Cavy Slave

The thing with chicken wires is that they are pretty thin and they can cut. Not just the edges. If you move your hand on the wire and don't feel any sharpness, it should be ok.

Lucille

Cavy Slave

I haven't been able to find any grids and we have chicken wire at home which i am allowed to use but i just have to see whether its good for my bunny or not! Would dowel poles with chicken wire attached to them work as a good substitute?? I have a local place which has a form of coroplast so I have that covered! :)
Is this for your bunny? You could make a chicken wire enclosure that way, but I am thinking your bunny could gnaw through the the dowel poles or the wire. Most bunny cages are made with metal frames and more sturdy wire because bunnies are persistent chewers.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer

Chicken wire isn't strong enough for a bunny, you need something stronger that they can stand up on and put their weight on. Most hardware stores sell galvanized steel mesh. Anything with 1/4 inch up to 1 inch x half an inch holes should be fine for sides.

leahhh_jenkins

Cavy Slave

Is this for your bunny? You could make a chicken wire enclosure that way, but I am thinking your bunny could gnaw through the the dowel poles or the wire. Most bunny cages are made with metal frames and more sturdy wire because bunnies are persistent chewers.

Yeah it's for my bunny! I didn't think of that and knowing my bunny he chews through anything and everything!! Yeah my dad says he isn't keen on an indoor cage and would rather build my rabbit a bigger enclosure so maybe I will go with his idea and maybe along the track I could look into it again :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.