Thread: Can I use chicken wire instead of cubes to make a c&c cage or is it dangerous?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Question Can I use chicken wire instead of cubes to make a c&c cage or is it dangerous?

I haven't been able to find any grids and we have chicken wire at home which i am allowed to use but i just have to see whether its good for my bunny or not! Would dowel poles with chicken wire attached to them work as a good substitute?? I have a local place which has a form of coroplast so I have that covered!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,939 Rec'd/1,386 Posts
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    744 Post(s)

Re: Can I use chicken wire instead of cubes to make a c&c cage or is it dangerous?

If you use chicken wires, make sure they are not sharp. It might be better to find wires that are designed for pets.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Can I use chicken wire instead of cubes to make a c&c cage or is it dangerous?

ok i will see but if I can't find any would it be ok if i folded the edges underneath the cage?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,939 Rec'd/1,386 Posts
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    744 Post(s)

The thing with chicken wires is that they are pretty thin and they can cut. Not just the edges. If you move your hand on the wire and don't feel any sharpness, it should be ok.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    32 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leahhh_jenkins View Post
    I haven't been able to find any grids and we have chicken wire at home which i am allowed to use but i just have to see whether its good for my bunny or not! Would dowel poles with chicken wire attached to them work as a good substitute?? I have a local place which has a form of coroplast so I have that covered!
    Is this for your bunny? You could make a chicken wire enclosure that way, but I am thinking your bunny could gnaw through the the dowel poles or the wire. Most bunny cages are made with metal frames and more sturdy wire because bunnies are persistent chewers.

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,094 Rec'd/794 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

Chicken wire isn't strong enough for a bunny, you need something stronger that they can stand up on and put their weight on. Most hardware stores sell galvanized steel mesh. Anything with 1/4 inch up to 1 inch x half an inch holes should be fine for sides.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Is this for your bunny? You could make a chicken wire enclosure that way, but I am thinking your bunny could gnaw through the the dowel poles or the wire. Most bunny cages are made with metal frames and more sturdy wire because bunnies are persistent chewers.
    Yeah it's for my bunny! I didn't think of that and knowing my bunny he chews through anything and everything!! Yeah my dad says he isn't keen on an indoor cage and would rather build my rabbit a bigger enclosure so maybe I will go with his idea and maybe along the track I could look into it again

User Tag List