Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wierdest present you've ever recieved...

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave
...Mine was a pickle packaged in a bag of murkey juice. It proclaims: "Contents: One pickle" on the wrapping and contains all of a person's sodium for the day. I got it from a grab bag type thing and was told that it was bought at the gas station.

So, what was the wierdest thing you've ever gotton?

Calliemay

Cavy Slave
My mom got me a popcorn pan, when i was six, and wasnt allowed to use the stove. I dont know what made her decide to get that.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
One year I got a clock radio for Christmas. I usually figure out what I'm getting pretty quick, but that one was a mystery.

In the sixth grade we did a "white elephant" gift exchange and I was really excited because I got gel pens. Then when I got home I realized they were all broken. :grumpy: Somebody else picked the biggest gift box and it was filled with smaller boxes. In the smallest was a stuffed animal of a cat in a burlap sack. It meowed when you squeezed it.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I was a 17 year old girl, my grandmother is known to give really weird gifts.
That Christmas she gave me two blocks made of some clear acrylic material, and inside was a dead bat, and a dead frog.
I nearly peed myself when unwrapping it.

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
My ex-dad once gave me a bag of coal and a list of my sins. Not so much weird as sad.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
One of my husband's relatives gave me a snowman shaped mug warmer that looked like it had been ran over by a car a few times.

She was weird and old.

My mother used to think it was funny to put gifts in feminine hygiene boxes, too. Maybe it was funny the first time, but she kept doing it every year and would laugh hysterically.

Maybe that's why *I'm* odd.... :crazy:

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
What, no pink bunny suits?

I've never really gotten a weird present, but I once got a very unique scratcher for my cats. A friend made it for me, and it was a carpeted horse. The cats could go inside the body and use the legs and tail as scratching posts. I recarpeted it once, but eventually the poor thing was destroyed beyond repair. It was awesome and the kitties loved it. He could probably have sold a ton of them, but he only made them as gifts.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I went to my stepmom's family Christmas party last night and her mom is very strange...she gave my brothers towels one year lol last night I got lotion samples and a pad and a soap bar holder with an angel who had a broken wing. But hey, I'll use most of it. My fiance got a little ceramic cardinal figurine....lol

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I got a PINK bunny suit. And I hate pink. My mom told me to go put it on, and when I came back out she and everyone else at the party laughed their heads off. I was one mad pink bunny. (Christmas Story party)

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
My husband went out for my gift on Christmas Eve (as usual) and I rec'd KISS Greatest Hits CD. :boggled:
A. I don't like KISS
B. I don't really like heavy metal music at all
C. My husband thinks he's such a joker

Needless to say, he owed me big time after that. We stopped exchanging gifts because he was sooo bad at it.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
My husband went out for my gift on Christmas Eve (as usual) and I rec'd KISS Greatest Hits CD.
A. I don't like KISS
B. I don't really like heavy metal music at all
C. My husband thinks he's such a joker

Needless to say, he owed me big time after that. We stopped exchanging gifts because he was sooo bad at it.

This prompts me to ask a question to the married people on here that I've thought about for awhile.

I've been married for three years. His money is my money, my money is his money (despite that he makes all said money). So you when you buy your spouse a gift, it's also technically bought with *their* money. Does it ever feel weird to do this?

I always feel weird buying gifts for my husband with money *he* makes. Makes me feel my gift is worthless.

Gift giving in general is confusing. Someone buys me a gift and then I'm obligated to give them something back of nearly equal value. So I'm not really gaining anything in the end. I'm losing the same amount of money in return for a gift I may or may not want.

Gosh, let the headaches ensue. :weepy:

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
This prompts me to ask a question to the married people on here that I've thought about for awhile.

I've been married for three years. His money is my money, my money is his money (despite that he makes all said money). So you when you buy your spouse a gift, it's also technically bought with *their* money. Does it ever feel weird to do this?

I always feel weird buying gifts for my husband with money *he* makes. Makes me feel my gift is worthless.

Gift giving in general is confusing. Someone buys me a gift and then I'm obligated to give them something back of nearly equal value. So I'm not really gaining anything in the end. I'm losing the same amount of money in return for a gift I may or may not want.

I'm in the same situation since I'm a stay at home mom and my SO works. We have separate bank accounts due to my son's SSI, so I usually just use his bank card but for Christmas and his birthday and father's day, I have him give me a set amount which is what we agreed would be spent on each of us for that holiday. So let's say we decide on $100 for each of us for Christmas, I will then take the kids and let them each pick out a gift for their dad and then whatever is left, I buy him something he would like (I tend to buy things for practicality). Then I will usually end up making him something, either a special treat that he loves for the holidays or do something nice for him out of the ordinary. Just as an extra special something.

This year I'm making homemade cinnamon rolls for his family, his friends at work to hand out and of course for us. I also found on Etsy wallets made from comic books and I got him one in his favorite of Calivin & Hobbes with some extra money I had in my account. So that's my "went out of my way to think of something special for you" gifts.

ETA: Oh and I deal everything in CASH so that there is no paper trail, he's a nosey one who ALWAYS tries to figure out what we got him lol.

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
I got a Snuggie.... I don't know why, i never even wanted one. Turned out to be good though. One of my cats LOVES it and I have used it as a playmat for the piggies. XD

Slipperytofu

Cavy Slave
When i was 7, my moms 2nd cousin got me a toolbox filled with bottle rockets, a pocket knife, and an alligators head xD

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I haven't really gotten any weird gifts. I suppose the weirdest gift i ever got was a snuggie. Didn't ask for one but my aunt got it for me anyways. It had skulls on it though so that's cool. :p

On the other hand the COOLEST gift I ever got was a mini drum set. It had 3 drums and one cymbal. And recently for my birthday while I was visiting my mom in Florida, her (rich) friend paid for me to go to Universal Studios; Islands of Adventure and I got to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It was so cool. :)

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer

My parents resolved this by giving themselves an "allowance." My father worked and my mother was at home, so the salary went into their account, but each month each one got a sum (same amount for each). They would buy gifts for each other or random stuff for themselves out of it.

My husband and I don't give each other gifts. We buy something together. This year we got five custom-made ornaments with each of the piggie's photos in them, along with each one's name and "2012."

I don't think you should feel obligated to get something that is of equal monetary value. If you choose to give a gift, I personally think it should be of equal thought value. My siblings and I all earn different sums of money or have different financial needs. One may send a gift of foods from around the world; another a silk from India; another a poem or a hand-sewn ornament. We treasure them all.

For me, in this day of e-mail, I find a hand-written letter by snail mail to be one of the best things ever.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
We've been married for 21 yrs and for the past 10 yrs or so we've agreed to just get small things (candy, magazine, coffee gift card, etc ) for each other's stocking because the kids expect Santa to leave something for us too :)

We buy anything else on our own or together. This year I got myself guinea pigs!

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
My husband once got me a 16" glass candy cane.. I still have no idea why. I don't even use it for decoration because its heavy and a pain in the bottom to fine some where the kids or cat can't knock it off and break it.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
My husband and I can pretty much get what we want when we want it and that feature of adulthood really takes away some of the gift giving spirit between us. :sorry: This year we are using our gift money to spend time with family. We are planning on taking my husband's family out to a fancy dinner the day after Christmas to celebrate Christmas and my husband's 30th birthday! :eek: Other than that we have house buying on our minds and we would rather spend money on that than gifts. Does this mean we are getting old? lol

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Not old, practical ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.