Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

sideways pig

freya205

Cavy Slave
hi, recently (about 2 months ago) my wife and I got two adorable little guinea pigs that our daughter named star and diamond. they are great additions to the family and this is coming from a ferret guy, anyway a few weeks ago our brown and white one, diamond started to lean to the left all the time, looks like a walking leaning tower of piza, we cant figure out if this is personality since they both started really showin theirs about the time the leaning started or if we should be concerned. star, the all black with a white mark, hasnt leaned at all, so we dont think its a diet issue or environmental. so far diamond is only a tiny anti-social compared to star, but seems very happy and healthy otherwise. just wondering if anyone has an opinion, similar experience or if we should run to a vet.
thank you very much

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
She probably has an inner-ear infection. Get her to a cavy-savy vet ASAP.

Cherryrosed

Cavy Slave
The leaning could be a sign of a Upper Respiratory Infection. I would take him to a vet.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
From GL:

Difficulty walking
Pig holding it's head tilted to one side
: get to a vet. Prompt treatment is critical for complete recovery. This can indicate an inner ear infection requiring topical and/or oral antibiotics. A vet will also check for parasites.

freya205

Cavy Slave
thank you for the replies callin vet first thing in the morning, and hopin all is well

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Find a cavy savy vet. Most dog and cat vets do not know guinea pigs. There is a list of safe meds at www.guinealynx.info

freya205

Cavy Slave
went to vet this morning, a very nice one that specialized in guineas, my poor sideways boy has an ear infection. the vet said we got him there in time (my wife was scared we took too long to find out what was wrong) and was very pleased to find out that other than the infection both of our pigs are very healthy and, as the vet put it, "utterly fearless". guess all the lap time pays off after all. lol.

thank you all for replying and for the list of vets.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Glad you got him to a good vet! May I ask what you are feeding your guys? And I must see pictures!

freya205

Cavy Slave
we feed them nutriphase guinea food and lots of healthy veggies, timothy hay and fresh clover from the yard.
BTW we tried to post pictures, but it asked for a URL and im not that knowlegable about it so until we figure it out i cant show off the boys

amfeider

Cavy Slave
Get them off the nutriphase it is a very bad piggie food please get some oxbow.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Nutriphase has a preservitive in it called Ethoxyquin, that causes cancer. It is highly suggested you switch to something else. Oxbow makes the absolute best ((broken link removed)). Cavy Performance for under six months of age, Cavy Cuisine for over. You can find a store that carries it or order it cheaper from (broken link removed).

Read https://guinealynx.com/nutrition.html for good veggie information. They should each be getting a minnimum of one cup each day.

Make sure they are getting unlimited hay, too. Sounds like they are lucky boys!

If you make a free account at www.photobucket.com, you can host your pictures and post the URLs here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.