Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own My wheat grass study and results.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
My Findings

I started by purchasing "Hard Red Winter Wheatberries" from my local bulk food store. I purchased 2 aluminum lasagna pans, and a bag of soil. It cost around $7.

Now, if you google "How To Grow Wheatgrass" you find a variety of ways to grow it, things to buy, methods for sprouting. The question I asked? Well, what works best? And so I began my 'study'.

I grew wheat grass from sprouts, straight from the bag, in a pan with holes, without holes, early sun exposure, late sun exposure, misting it, soaking it etc.

I found that growing from sprouts in a plastic container, no holes needed, with soil, early exposure, and misting worked best. It molded less quickly, grew quickest and took the least effort.
How to Sprout

To start your sprouts, measure out 1 part wheat berries to 2 parts water. For one lasagna tray, and a medium sized margarine container it takes about 1 cup of wheat berry. Place your water, and wheat berries in a bowl.
Stir, and let them sit for 12 hours (overnight works well). IMG02628-20120928-0907.jpg
After 12 hours, drain your wheat berries into a colander.
IMG02620-20120926-0743.jpg

Keep your wheatberries in the colander/strainer for the rest of the process. Every 4-5 hours rinse them under cool water, give it a shake to remove excess water, and return on top of the bowl. Do this for about a day or so. When your wheatberries look like this:
IMG02626-20120927-1717.jpg
They have sprouted, and are ready for planting. Keep rinsing them until they look like this, otherwise growing them will be harder, and they won't grow as fast.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Planting

Once you have sprouted the seeds, you can plant. You can grow them in any thing. Look for more area as opposed to depth. You only need about 2 inches of soil, or less. Just enough for the roots to wind down and tangle up. Now, I planted two ways. I tried planting the sprouts into the soil, and then adding more soil on top. I also planted the sprouts on top of the soil and let them be. I found that both worked just fine, it didn't really make a difference. I have chosen to continue planting the sprouts above the soil, it's easiest.

IMG02595-20120921-1937.jpg

Some websites tell you to plant a single layer, I found it doesn't really matter. I dump the sprouts onto the soil, spread them around a bit, and leave it be.

I recommend you keep a spray bottle on the table, because you need to spritz them with water 3 times a day, or more. Keep them hydrated, but do not soak them, this encourages mold. If you do start to notice mold, don't worry, it will be fine. Unless there is a large amount of it, keep growing the grass.

In the early stages of growing, it is VERY important, that you loosely cover your container. I simply put a plastic bag on top. Do not seal it off, it needs air. I covered about 3/4 of my pan, and left the rest uncovered for air flow. Once your grass grows higher then the container, don't bother covering it.

After a few days, your grass should look like this :
IMG02615-20120925-1745.jpg

at this point, you can expose it to sunlight. Do not put it in direct sunlight, or strong sunlight, it will die. I kept mine on a table with the blinds open. Keep spritzing the roots/grass, but do not over water. At this point you can spritz once in the morning and once at night, that should be sufficient. Mold is the enemy here.

After a day or so, it should be turning green.

IMG02622-20120926-1426.jpg

Keep spritzing, and not long after (seriously, like 2-3 days) your grass will be ready to harvest!

IMG02633-20120929-0938.jpg

I always harvest about 3 inches up from the soil, and the pigs get to enjoy nutritious fresh grass. I wanted to start up a growing system for them, so they can enjoy grass when there's 3 feet of snow out!

It took me a few weeks to figure this all out, but now that I know how to do it best, I have tray after tray after tray of grass on my table, all in varying stages, for my piglets.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
That's pretty cool! I didn't even know guinea pigs could have it. We don't get snow here in Orlando, FL though so I have plenty outside all year long :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
See in Canada, we don't really have grass from november-march. Well, we do, but it's normally frozen or under snow. Sometimes march and November are okay.

They can have unlimited wheat grass! Mine love it.

jgunnoe

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the detailed instructions w/ pics! I've never grown wheat grass before, but I think I will try it! My girls love grass, but we get lots of snow in the winter here, too, so I won't be able to bring fresh grass in for them anymore in a couple of months. :)

Question: If I cut it off about 3 inches from the soil like you said, how many times would it grow back?

lovemypigs.

Cavy Slave
What kind of soil is safe? What kind did you use?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I used potting soil. I normally get 2-3 cuts off it. Sometimes the mold grows up higher, and then I have to throw it away (in my backyard compost). If the mold is just down near the roots, I still cut the grass for the pigs. So long as no mold is ON any of it, It's okay.

[MENTION=20834]lovemypigs.[/MENTION] [MENTION=21677]jgunnoe[/MENTION]

It really is fun to wake up in the morning and see it grew more!

galya137

Cavy Slave
That's so great!! Thank you for posting this!
How long does it take to grow? I'm experimenting with growing grass too.
Out of oatmeal... :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
OAT GRASS? That's a great idea! Can they eat that? ?!?!?!?!?!?! oh now I'm excited.

It depends, the pan I'm trying to grow now is being stubborn, but my first few grew in about 6 days.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I want to experiment with barley grass, oat grass, rye grass, lentil greens, and pea greens. I'm not sure if I can feed any of these to pigs though. And I really have no clue how to plant any of it yet. I'm going to research some more. Maybe someone can help me figuire out if any of the above is okay for piglets?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
what about sunflower sprouts? hmmmm. I don't know.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
OAT GRASS? That's a great idea! Can they eat that? ?!?!?!?!?!?! oh now I'm excited.

It depends, the pan I'm trying to grow now is being stubborn, but my first few grew in about 6 days.

I feed mine oat grass as a treat. They adore it.

galya137

Cavy Slave
Yes my dad grows it at home for their two cats. And it starts growing within 3 ays!!! I will post when im successful on tje instructions. :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
okay :) what do you grow it from? I can check my bulk food store to find out if they sell the 'seeds'. I'm sure you don't use rolled oats?
[MENTION=24803]galya137[/MENTION]

I'm really intrested in sunflower sproats and buckwheat sprouts.

galya137

Cavy Slave
Im using actual oatmeal as an expriment. Thats the bottom layer, then put some soil, water it and put in sunlight.
I shall see if this works. I planted it yesterday morning.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
okay :) what do you grow it from? I can check my bulk food store to find out if they sell the 'seeds'. I'm sure you don't use rolled oats?
@galya137

I'm really intrested in sunflower sproats and buckwheat sprouts.

Look for "cat grass" seeds. I think several seeds may be called "cat grass," so check the back to make sure it's oat grass.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I'm going to check bulk barn. What if I get dehulled oats or something?

LeePetVet

Cavy Slave
I will be growing plain grass is a cardboard box I have a terrible lawn

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@LeePetVet cardboard won't work. It will get soggy and gross. And the cardboard will absorb all the water.

I'm going to take a look next time I go :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.