Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General For Those Of You With Texel Piggies..

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
My girl puff is or at least I was told shes a texel. I tried to brush her hair with a comb but she basically cried the entire time like I was hurting her so I only tried to brush her once. I know that she has either lice or mites or both. The treatment stuff will be here tomorrow. So after I treat her and shes all clear of lice/mites how do I go about brushing her hair so that she doesn't look like a big afro puff? Heres a pic of her so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

DSCN9861.jpg

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Have you given any thought to cutting her hair? I've never had a texel but when I had a peruvian I kept her hair short and she was adorable and always seemed to appreciate having the extra "weight" lifted off.

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
LOL [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION]. My daughter and 2 of my sons have afros so having one isnt an issue. Thank you for the advice. I will give her a trim after shes all better and see how things go. My girls hair looks extremely different than yours. Is that normal with texels that the curls are all different? Like even on her face her hair is curly. She is almost 3 months old now. If that matters.

[MENTION=7434]Paula[/MENTION] No I had not but once shes all better I will be trimming it to see if that helps. Thank you so much :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
LOL [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION]. My daughter and 2 of my sons have afros so having one isnt an issue. Thank you for the advice. I will give her a trim after shes all better and see how things go. My girls hair looks extremely different than yours. Is that normal with texels that the curls are all different? Like even on her face her hair is curly. She is almost 3 months old now. If that matters.

[MENTION=7434]Paula[/MENTION] No I had not but once shes all better I will be trimming it to see if that helps. Thank you so much :)

I currently have two texels but had a third. The texture of their fur and curls are all different. The more you brush them, the straighter their fur gets. If you don't groom them, their fur tends to get curlier. I use a plastic tipped brush and a wide toothed comb to groom them. My thick furred one is a bear to groom. It's even hard to trim her fur, it's so thick. My vet said her fur could probably used to make a human wig it's so thick. Once they got used to being groomed, they don't fuss anymore but they did at first. My deceased texel loved to have her fur brushed. Some texels have parts down their backs but not all do. They all have curly fur on their bellies, though.

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
Thank you pinky.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.