Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay storage and keeping the floor clean!

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I leave my hay in the box that it came in under the guinea pigs cage. Is that bad for it? Its not in a damp place. But I also can't say that it is able to breath.

I do the same. I have the flaps of the box slightly open so it's not sealed shut. I've never had a problem with hay getting damp or moldy, though it isn't overly humid where I live so maybe that helps.

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
Ok I just wanted to double check. I can't say that its humid here and so far I have not found an issue with it but I may take it out of the bag and poke some holes in the box like others have done.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
As long as it isnt in an air tight container and has some room to breathe. :

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
what type of hay bin/feeder do you use? Do you have a kitchen area? C & C cage?

If you have a kitchen area maybe raise the Coro height in the kitchen and put the coro level behind the hay feeder so there is less places for the hay to escape :) some will inevitably get out but raising the coro will limit what can escape in the main feeding area. Maybe put down some small kitchen rugs around the cage..vaccume as needed and then 1 x week roll them up and take them out and give them a good shake!! if there is still some hay on them after than try those lint sticky roller brushes or wrap packaging tape around your hand and go over the areas that the hay that the vaccume is not getting

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.